Chapter Thirteen : Trust

Whatever the boys had expected Sabrina to say, it was not this.

The three students had moved to the couch and the armchair in front of the fireplace. And she told them everything. She told them of the first time she used her magic, to the dragon attack, Gringotts, why Ranrok and Rookwood were after her, and finally what she found in the library. "So..." Sebastian said finally when the girl was done. "You can see ancient magic. What does that even mean?"

"Honestly, I'm not entirely certain," Sabrina explained. "All I know is that I can see whispers of an old magic that hardly anyone else can. Fig and I think that Ranrok has somehow found a way to harness that magic's power."

"Are you telling me that goblins may be wielding some sort of wizard magic?" There was a sharpness to Sebastian's question.

"That's what we're trying to find out."

"And this 'ability' of yours," Ominis spoke for the first time since Sabrina started. "Does it allow you to wield this magic as well?"

Sabrina shook her head. "I'm not sure. It's all still so new to me."

Sebastian had been listening closely to her, perked up suddenly. "You know, I've been studying archaic forms of magic for ages. Perhaps we can help each other."

"I'm sure I can try to do my own research as well," Ominis added. "There's bound to be something in the library about this Rackham and Morganach. Perhaps there's something about ancient magic in there as well."

"Especially if Rackham was a professor here! There's bound to be something!"

The girl watched the two boys go back and forth, coming up with ideas as to who these people were and how they could find out what they needed.

She couldn't believe they were trying to help her.

"Why?" she asked finally.

Sebastian and Ominis stopped their conversation and looked at her. "What?"

"Why are you wanting to help me?"

The question surprised them. Sebastian answered after a beat, "Because we're your friends. And we want to help you."

"Besides," Ominis added. "We're trusting you with the knowledge of the secret Undercroft. You can trust us to keep your secret."

A warmth started to burn in Sabrina's chest as she realized that he meant every word. "Thank you...."

"In the meantime," Sebastian said standing up from his place next to Sabrina. "With both Rookwood and Ranrok after you, I suspect we'll have to start teaching you some more defensive spells."

Sabrina looked up at him. "Defensive spells? Like what?"

"Like the Blasting Curse."

"Oh please, Sebastian," Ominis spoke up. "I hardly think her first defensive spell should be that one."

"I know some defensive spells already," Sabrian answered. "I know expelliarmus and stupefy. What's so wrong about this one?"

Sebastian smirked. "Well, professors say it's not an appropriate spell to teach students. I say a magical education ought to include all magic. A spell like confringo is only truly dangerous in untrained hands. Such spells should be properly taught, not banned."

"You are also more partial to the more fiery forms of magic," Ominis added.

Sebastian ignored him and looked back at Sabrina. "C'mon, I can teach it to you safely here. We practice spells down here all the time, and it would really help you."