Chapter Seventeen : The Triptych

Sabrina had wanted to go and talk to Anne, but after her interaction with Solomon he had locked the door on both her and Sebastian, preventing either of them from going inside for a further visit. Sabrina felt like she had never met a person she wanted to hex more than she wanted to on Solomon.

She found Sebastian hanging around the stone wall around the well, his posture slumped and he was looking defeated. When he saw her approach, he stood up. "She's my sister! Why won't he listen to me?!" He sounded like he was close to a breaking point.

Sabrina frowned. "How are you doing?" she asked, knowing what the answer was.

"You just got a first-hand glance at what I've had to deal with," Sebastian answered her. "I apologize for my uncle."

"I'll admit, I wasn't expecting him to be so angry."

"He's always angry," Sebastian explained. "He's been angry since my parents died. After Anne got hurt, he only grew worse. It's as though he blames me for all of it! Always calling me 'my father's son' as if that's an insult! I'm the one trying to help her! He's simply given up!"

He had complained about Solomon to her before, but never like this. Sebastian was frustrated, angry, and desperate. "Your uncle seems convinced that nothing more can be done for her."

Sebastian was close to tears now. "I refuse to believe that! Anne's pain is more than physical, it has changed her entirely." He looked at Sabrina, but she could tell he was more so trying to convince himself than he was the girl in front of him. "I miss my sister, and I am going to get her back!"

Sabrina could feel and understand how he felt. "I want to help you," she said earnestly. "You're right. There has to be something we can do." She thought for a minute, trying to think of what their first step could be. "Have you gone back to where she was first hurt? Maybe they have some clues there we can follow."

"Come with me," Sebastian said immediately. "It's not far. But we'll need to be careful. Ranrok's Loyalists are everywhere, and they are  capable of so much more than people realize. They should not be underestimated."

The two followed the same road they came from, heading out of town and up another hill opposite of Rookwood Castle. "There's a lot of debris up here, and it's all from whatever is going on at this abandoned estate. All I know is that they're digging for something." They walked for a bit in silence, heading further up the mountain until they started hearing voices.

"How long are we expected to dig through all this rubble?" A high pitched malevolent voice asked.

"Ranrok knows what he's doing," another voice answered him. "It's an honor to be a part of it. The only good wizard is a dead wizard in my book."

"Goblins!" Sebastian exclaimed. He drew his wand and suddenly he was charging towards them before Sabrina could stop him.

At the top of the hill, they came across their camp, encountering at least six goblin Loyalists wearing the same red glowing armor that Sabrina had seen Ranrok wearing. Sebastian was good duelist, and Sabrina felt like she was really being put to the test as she battled them out. It felt like it took forever, but finally all the goblins were defeated and Sabrina could take a breath.

"I confess," Sebastian panted. "That was a bit more than I had bargained for. I did try to warn you."

"Was that before or after you decided to charge in headfirst?" Sabrina asked. "You can't just do that! It helps to be sneaky sometimes."

Sebastian looked like he wanted to argue, but changed his mind and instead continued walking towards the site of the ruins he had mentioned.

And they were literally just that. Remnants of what looked like walls and perhaps an estate lay crumbled on the grass, barefly making out the shape that this could have been a house.