Chapter Twelve : Forgive

"Miss Pryor, would you be a dear and go check on the Chinese Chomping Cabbages in the next greenhouse? They're due for a good chomping on the dummy."

Sabrina felt herself being pulled out of her thoughts, remembering that she was supposed to be trimming her dittany leaves in Herbology instead of wishing she was anywhere but where she was.

It had been almost two weeks since Sabrina's fight with Ominis Gaunt, and he had respectively kept his distance. Sabrina didn't really give him a choice, though, when she avoided every place he could possibly be aside from the common room. However, Sabrina's nightmares had come back more than ever, and it pained her to stay inside her dark dorm room every night out of fear she would leave and have another run in at the fireplace.

Even Sebastian had kept his distance, something that Sabrina regretted. She wasn't angry at him, but she thought he was most likely upset at her. She did yell at his best friend. But he yelled at her first!

Professor Fig had returned a few days after her adventure into the library, surprising her by not being as angry and disappointed as she thought he would be. In fact, he actually seemed impressed, and maybe a bit proud of her for taking initiative to figure out this mystery. Sabrina told him everything from the soldiers to the book and the memories of Isidora Morganach and the other Keepers. She did not, however, tell him about how much it bothered Sabrina that she looked a lot like Isidora, or that she was the girl yelling and screaming in her dreams. Sabrina had thought it was herself yelling. She was almost wishing that was the case.

Why was Isidora Morganach angry at her? What had she done to deserve a subconscious part of her to be so upset?

Fig had to go back to London after he had been summoned to testify regarding George Osric's death, but he was expected back any day now. And Sabrina was back in class learning about dittany uses and plants that could kill you if you looked at them the wrong way. The going back and forth between life changing and adventure and normalcy was beginning to give her whiplash.

Sabrina looked at Professor Garlick and answered her. "Yes ma'am, I'll head there now."

"I'll go with you."

Sabrina groaned before she even turned. Leander Prewett came walking up to her, looking anxious at an opportunity to spend with the new student. Sabrina hoped he wasn't dense enough to tell how unhappy she was.

As the two walked to the next building over, Leander cleared his throat. "Nice going in Defense Against The Dark Arts, by the way."

"Excuse me?" Sabrina asked.

"Your duel with Sebastian!" The red haired boy exclaimed. "And he's good. Thinks he's really good. But you outright slaughtered him! It was brilliant!"

That class felt like it was such a long time ago.

"I nearly put Sebastian in his place myself. I mean, I would have, if Hecat hadn't stopped me."

Sabrina eyed the boy. "Didn't she stop that dragon skull from crushing you?" she asked. She didn't like how Leander was making this out to be like he was the best duelist in school. Most annoying is more like it, Sabrina thought.

"Typical Slytherin trick, dropping a dragon skull on someone during a fight." Leander had a bitter tone now. "We Gryffindors fight with honor."

"If I remember correctly," Sabrina started. "He didn't drop the skull on you, the spell he cast was blocked and backfired."

"I was the one his spell was aimed at, I would know."

Pompous brat.

The two students made it to the greenhouse with the chomping cabbages, and Sabrina was suddenly thankful for a distraction. These cabbages had very sharp teeth, and if one wasn't careful then Professor Garlick had said she had known students to lose fingers. She picked one up and threw it at the dummy in the corner, watching in slight excitement as it attacked and gnawed on its wooden arm.