ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9 : The king's warning

Jungkook doesn't expect to see the king standing behind the doors after he slips out of the stable, Jimin and him going their separate ways. The king's expression is thunderous as he glares down at Jungkook and the younger would be lying if he said he wasn't intimidated the slightest bit.

"Father," the word slips out through his parted lips.

"I thought I made myself clear when I said I do not wish to see my son interacting with a filthy-blooded, lowborn servant."

"He's not-" Jungkook begins but the king steps forward, towering over Jungkook's shorter figure, eyes blazing with fury over the fact that his own son dared to try and speak back to him.

"Not a word, Jungkook!"

"I love him," screams Jungkook and his voice echoes in the huge hall. There's a dramatic gasp and Jungkook doesn't need to look at the source to know who it is.

"A servant?" Aera almost screeches, then composes herself but keeps her glare fixed on Jungkook, "You cannot love a servant."

"We have certain standards as royal blooded folk. We do not stoop so low that we fall for someone of the same gender and worse, we do not ever interact in romantic ways with the lowborn."

"You said you wished for me to be happy, didn't you?" Jungkook starts, shifting his gaze to the woman, jaw clenching, "then this man makes me happy. It's him I love and you need to accept that."

The king's eyes darken dangerously and the queen's face crumples into an ugly frown.

"If I ever see you with that boy again, I'll kill him," says the king, voice dangerously low.

He can't be serious, can he? He's bluffing. He has to be bluffing.

Jungkook feels his eyes burn with fresh tears as he gives the older male the hardest glare he can muster, anger flowing through his veins.

The king strides down the hall, shoulder brushing against Jungkook's and he never looks back. The queen coos, her lips curling into a sickly sweet smile and she cups her son's cheeks.

"That man will never be able to keep you happy like we will. He can't provide you with any luxuries in life like we can."

Jungkook pushes her hand away from his cheek.

"You're wrong there."

"He is a lowborn."

"He is human, just like you and I are. He's the man I fell in love with. He makes me happy."

"Money is the only thing that can keep you happy," she has the audacity to argue and Jungkook knows she's a lost case, filled with the desire to satisfy her greed and viewing that as a path to happiness. Something that became a value she carried with her and decided to pass along to the next generation, in simpler words, him.

Jungkook only shakes his head, lips drawn in a thin line as he walks away from the queen.

"Jungkook," she calls and he isn't sure why he halts but he does.

"We're having a grand ball tomorrow and we've sent out invitations to kingdoms high and low. Please stay at your best behaviour and for Pete's sake, avoid any sort of interaction with that servant."

Jungkook says nothing. He just glares at the floor as he hears her heels click against the floorboards, getting fainter the further away she walks.

--

31 May, 2023

𝐀𝐃𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 • ᴊɪᴋᴏᴏᴋOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara