Residuum

2011

Jason sat on the roof of the empty office building as Blaze approached him. "General Hanson called," she said as she sat beside him. "He's found us a building we can use as a base in Central Park." Jason said nothing. "It's big."

Jason sighed and eyed her. "I just..."

"I know..." Blaze muttered. "We're all... Well, it's quiet down there. But, Lightning's out there. And so are other Mobians. Our work isn't done."

"I know," Jason said before he exhaled deeply. "Alright. Let's go check out that building."

13 Years Later...

Jason bolted upright in his bed, sweat running down his face and his breathing escalated. He looked over at the clock. Three in the morning. He let out a sigh and slid out of bed. Muttering to himself, he made his way out of his room, down the hall, down a spiral metal staircase, and into the large room where the tan usually hangs out. He went into the kitchen off to the side and opened the fridge. After taking out a can of soda, he closed the door. Standing there, on the other side, was Blaze.

"Still having the nightmares?" She asked. She was wearing a purple velvet robe that she had tied at the waist.

Jason chuckled and popped the can. "Yeah, you'd think after all this time... I mean, I'm not beating myself up over it anymore, but..."

"You still miss her," Blaze finished.

Jason nodded and sipped some of his drink. "And Lightning hasn't been spotted, either. It's like the past just... stopped."

Blaze shook her head. "No. We're still here, after all. Because of you, and the Rogues, the Mobians have been able to finally come out of hiding. The world's a better place now."

"Nah, it's the same. Just different."

Blaze tilted her head in confusion. "Elaborate, please?"

The human chuckled. "The Mobians make it different. But there's still crime from both humans and Mobians."

Blaze shrugged and crossed her arms. "Some Mobians were less forgiving. Can you blame them, though?"

Jason took a sip and then paused. He then sighed and set his can down on the counter. "I understand their resentment. Their hatred is expected. But that doesn't excuse their actions."

"Agreed. Just make sure, when the time comes, that you understand their side, too."

Jason nodded. "I will."

Blaze crossed her arms and took a step back. "Come back to bed," she said, before she left.

The human grabbed his soda and took another sip as he followed.

**********

A black female hedgehog wearing cargo pants and a gray tank top sat at a desk in the dark. The only source of light was her desk lamp. In her hand was a pencil and on the table were blueprints of a train and a map of the city. As she looked over the scribbles, she leaned back with a sigh as a purple echidna walked up next to her. The purple Mobian wore black shorts and a black t-shirt.

"It's all ready, Myst," the hedgehog said with a smile. "Tomorrow, we begin."

The echidna eyed the plans. "Looks good, Viper. Seems well thought out."

"Down... to the last... detail," Viper sighed, before she pushed her chair back and stood up. "I'm off to bed," she yawned as she stretched. "You're welcome to join me."