The Power of a Whisper

14 Years Ago...
Riverside

Whisper sat on a dock jutting out over a small lake. A river fed out into the ocean but was tucked away enough to not be so noticeable to outsiders. She heard the planks creak softly and her ears perked. A friendly scent filled her nose and she smiled, knowing exactly who it was.

"Hey, Tangle," she greeted without looking back.

"Whisper," the ring-tailed lemur said as she dropped next to her, dangling her feet over the edge of the dock

"Whisper," the ring-tailed lemur said as she dropped next to her, dangling her feet over the edge of the dock. "It always amazes me how good your senses are, but I'm not so surprised anymore."

"Not surprised?" Whisper asked. "I'll have to try harder, then."

Tangle smiled and looked out at the water. "This is nice, isn't it?"

"Yes. But it can't last."

"Why not?"

"You heard the stories. About where we came from. You think we won't be hunted down and captured again?"

Tangle exhaled through her nose. "I prefer not to think about it."

"Well, I have," Whisper said as she pulled a capsule for her rifle from her jacket. It had a red liquid inside. "I found a poisonous flower and refined it into this. One shot and the target's dead."

The lemur chuckled. "Wow. Dark. Isn't that a little... much?"

Whisper put the capsule back in her jacket. "You say that now. Just wait until we need it."

Tangle nodded. "Well, it's almost time for breakfast, and I don't wanna be late this time." She then stood up and patted the fox's shoulder. "Come on." She then turned and began heading back to their village.

Whisper sighed and got up, too, taking one last look at the water. After she was satisfied, she turned and began to make her way back to the village as well. Just as she stepped off the dock, there were a few explosions near her home. Tangle stopped suddenly and turned to run when there was another explosion close by that sent her and Whisper flying. The wolf landed hard on the dock and tumbled across the wood with grunts and groans. She could feel the heat from the fire as she weakly looked up.

She gasped when she saw a tall, metallic hedgehog with its foot on Tangle's back. A slightly chubby human with a red coat, black pants, goggles, and the bushiest orange mustache she ever saw walked up to the robot.

"Good work, Mekka," the man said. "Put her with the others. Then, I believe it's time you met Jason."

The robot nodded. "Acknowledged," the hedgehog said, before it reached down to pick up the squirming lemur.