Secret Basement!

[Sunrise, 30 minutes before the lockdown.]

Everyone gathered anxiously at the Inn, making final preparations before the imminent lockdown. The tension in the air was palpable.

Leon diligently moved everyone's belongings and luggage down to the basement, ensuring their safety. Anne meticulously cleaned the Inn, striving to restore its pristine appearance. Alf sat on the edge of the bed next to Rebecca, engaging in a serious discussion about their plans. Meanwhile, Arthur explored the basement, with Renna cautiously trailing behind him.

Marcus leaned against the wall, his arms crossed, as he assessed their situation and contemplated contingency plans in case their primary plan was compromised.

"I can't believe we're actually going through with this," Rebecca nervously exclaimed, her voice filled with trepidation.

"Is there truly no alternative?" she asked, desperately seeking reassurance.

"You shouldn't let yourself get so worked up; it'll make you appear tense and suspicious," Alf pointed out, attempting to alleviate her worries.

"How can I not be worried?" Rebecca exclaimed, her voice trembling.

"We're dealing with the Thorny Rose Order! I've heard their captain, Sir Ron, has reached the awakened spirit stage!"

"What!?" Alf exclaimed, taken aback by this revelation.

"Wait... Marcus, you've faced him in battle before, haven't you?" Alf turned to Marcus, seeking answers.

Marcus appeared lost in thought, his thumb resting on the bottom of his chin, and his index finger covering his top lip.

"Marcus?" Alf called out, attempting to bring him back to the present.

"A-Ah, yes?" Marcus replied, snapping out of his reverie.

"You've fought against Ron during the Great Holy War, right?"

"Yes, I have. But that was a long time ago," Marcus responded, his tone tinged with melancholy.

"I can't say for certain how much stronger he has become... He's also the reason I bear this scar on my face."

"How formidable was he back then?" Alf inquired, eager to gauge their opponent's strength.

"He was at the Spiritual Awareness stage," Marcus replied.

"And what about you, Marcus?" Rebecca chimed in, her eyes filled with curiosity.

Anne, who had been silently listening all along, looked at Marcus with a sorrowful expression.

Marcus glanced at Anne, then shifted his gaze back to Alf and Rebecca.

"If it weren't for the curse I received when I was knighted, I would still be at the Spiritual Adept stage," Marcus revealed, his voice laced with regret.

Alf and Rebecca were stunned, their mouths agape.

"You were in the Spiritual Adept stage!?" Rebecca exclaimed, her voice filled with awe.

"Why didn't you tell us before?" Alf added, his surprise evident.

"You were one of the most powerful knights on the continent?" Rebecca marveled.

Marcus's face contorted into a frown. He had always been reluctant to discuss his past, harboring deep regrets that weighed heavily on his spirit, causing him to become gloomy.

"Alright, let's change the topic," Anne interjected, clapping her hands to shift the focus.

Marcus looked up at Anne, feeling an immediate sense of relief. He took a deep breath, exhaling slowly as the weight on his shoulders eased.