3 - Recoup

"I am not a perfectionist, but still I seek perfection

"I am not a perfectionist, but still I seek perfection. I am not a great romantic, but yet I yearn for affection." - Tupac S.

Dante silently watched as Selah pack his belongings. Thinking of what he could say or do to change Selah's mind. Giyani had finally left after thirty minutes of bickering back with him. He hated Giyani, she was the main reason he was always getting busted or into with Selah. Due to being caught, he felt he had no outlet. Then it dawned on him the reason he felt valid enough to call Giselle over in the first place.

He cleared his throat and spoke up. "You really gonna kick me out over a slut that mean nothing to me. Like I ain't see you damn near eye fucking the new neighbor outside."

Dante watched as Selah stopped moving altogether. He could tell she was contemplating how to respond from how stiff she was. Right then and there he knew he had her.

"Wow, you're trash for saying that. That's nothing compared to the hell you've put me through. Miscarriages, STDs, and a cheat list that's probably a mile long. Be fucking for real, now you really gotta go."

"Come on Selah, I made a mistake out of anger. I would've never called Giselle had you just grabbed your phone yourself and avoided that nigga. But yet you looked like you was gonna kiss him as if what we have don't exist."

"Dante, I would never kiss another man. I know what I have at home unlike you." Selah honestly stated. She'd never given any man the time of day, Dante had her hooked.

"If you know what you have then you wouldn't be bagging up my shit. I love you and wanna work this out. I'll even go to therapy to see if that helps. Just don't give up on us."

Everything Dante was saying sounded good to Selah, too damn good. Especially the therapy part. Is he going to do it or is he just talking? Thought Selah, she knew all too well that Dante had the gift of gab. It was one of the main reasons she stayed with him so long.

"I'll let everything go and forgive you if you actually seek therapy. I believe in you but you have to believe in yourself to change. I'm still putting you out though."

"Alright, I'll seek therapy but where I'm supposed to go for the time being?" Dante Questioned as he looked through his bags of clothes to get dressed, he was still in his boxers.

"I don't know, your mom Dante. I need space to breathe right now before I go crazy and end up in jail."

"Man you know my mama's nosy and be on bullshit. Don't do me like that."

Selah sighed after thinking long and hard about the situation between Dante and his mother. She was really religious and often judged and ridiculed him for simple things. Their relationship was strained because his mother was a perfectionist that didn't allow mistakes in her household. Dante would have to walk on eggshells just to be around his mother Jennifer. "Fuck it, you can stay but only if you sleep on the couch and don't touch me. Ion know what that raggedy bitch Giselle has."

Dante quickly obliged. He had no choice in the matter. It was either be on the streets or listen to his girl. He wasn't broke or unemployed but accustomed to living with Selah where he could live in peace.

Selah began unpacking his things. Once she was done she walked out of their bedroom and into the living room after grabbing cleaning products. Fussing the whole time she cleaned and sprayed to get any remnants of Giselle and Dante's sexcapade out of the space. She felt like crying as she did so but sucked it up knowing she had the upper hand. Making a mental note to be strong because pain didn't last always. Something her Grandmother who had raised her taught her when she was younger. It was literally an Oxymoron to Selah at this point, she seemed to like pain and wanted it to last by dealing with Dante. Unable to decipher what real love looked like because she never experienced having a father figure. Toughening things out was all she knew. A soft life never in the equation for her.

She wanted to be done but didn't know how to. Dante was her safe space and only family due to her grandmother passing away in 2017. She had siblings an older brother and sister, but they all alienated her due to the mess Dante put her through. Finding it stupid that they keot fighting for someone who wouldn't fight for themselves. They hated Dante and after many fights grew tired of beating his ass. Selah would have to learn the hard way.

She had heard about the practice of self love but failed to understand how to go about it. Selah had to make a decision: to stay and tolerate Dante's mistreatment or to leave and find out who she really was.

She knew it would be difficult and that it would come with pain and heartache, but she decided to lift the veil of Dante's treatment. Sooner or later.