Chapter 40- The Airbenders

After hearing the news, we all ran to Suyin's airship. It was now on its way to the Air Temple. Everyone inside was gathered around a war table, a map splayed out.

Suyin places an airship figurine in front of the temple. "I say we make our approach from the west, drop down from the airship on cables, ambush these Red Lotus low-lives before they know what hit them."

"It will never work." Lin remarks.

I added onto Lin's statement. "That third eyed freak will pick us off one by one."

"You have a better idea on how to save the airbenders?" Su asked.

"Yeah," Lin blurted out. "We come up from the valley, scale the side of the mountain and take them off guard."

Iroh nods his head. "That could work."

"And give them the high ground?" Su questioned. "No, if their lavabender spots us, he'll melt the mountainside and us with it."

"Wait, I've got it. I'll disguise myself as a lost hiker, and once I'm in the temple, I'll distract the Red Lotus with my bird calls." Bolin creates bird calls and begins whistling. "That's when you all strike."

"Bird calls, really?" Mako snugged.

"Well I haven't noticed you offering any suggestions."

"It doesn't matter." We all turned our attention to Korra who was staring outside the airship window. "None of these ideas will work. The second Zaheer realizes we're up to something, he'll wipe out the airbenders."

I lightly frowned, leaning my head onto Iroh's arm. This whole situation made me feel so sick and vulnerable. My entire family was in trouble and so were the airbenders.

"And Opal is one of those airbenders." Su says. "Believe me, I understand what's at stake."

I glanced up at Korra to see the sadness in her eyes. "Then I'll think you agree that the only plan that will work is for me to give myself up."

"What?" Mako exclaimed.

"Korra, no."

"We'll figure out another way." Tonraq tried to reason.

Korra glanced over at Iroh. "I talked it over with Lord Zuko, and I've given it a lot of thought. I have to do this."

"You can't expect us to sit by and let Zaheer take you." Asami said.

I remained silent.

"The world has been out of balance for far too long: it needs the Air Nation back again. I can't let Zaheer destroy it and everyone we love. Help me save the airbenders, then you can worry about saving me."

After Tonraq exchanges glances with Suyin, he says. "We're with you, Korra."

"Yes, whatever you need, we're here." Su agreed.

"I'll go radio Zaheer." Korra said, leaving the radio room.

Iroh placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm going to go figure something out with chief Beifong and Tonraq at the war table, will you be all right, if I leave you with your friends?" He points over at the brothers.

I nodded my head. "I'll be okay."

Iroh wrapped his arm around my shoulder, bringing me into a hug. He kissed the crown of my head. "I promise on my late great-uncle that everything will be fine. After this is all over with, you'll be moving to the Fire nation with me like we planned, you still up for it?"

I tensed against Iroh's embrace. "Yeah." But the truth was that I was now wary of moving to the Fire nation because I wanted my family to always be with me, I've been having separation anxiety and I didn't want to leave them for my boyfriend and to move to another nation.