011

The group had gathered around a small fire, burning leaves and branches from their surrounding. Doing anything for the heat on a cold night. Brenda was already asleep, as much as she insisted she was fine she was still recovering and one of the symptoms was drowsiness.

Jennifer had gone off to hunt somewhere for some food since they hadn't eaten all day, leaving the group with a bit of alone time.

"We need to get rid of her before she hurts any of us," Gally said quickly,

"Come on Gally, you've hardly been friendly to her. You threatened her first," Newt sighed

"Easy for you to say, hear she was on your shoulder last night. Feeling a bit lonely lately?"

"Gally shut the bloody hell up,"

"It's true, we all see the way you two are all buddie-buddie. Somethings bound to happen and I'll tell you now Newt in the end your not gonna like it,"

"Gally, we've got bigger things than discussing Newts, finally sort of eventful, love life," Minho spoke as he leant forwards "She's bought us to a place that previously belonged to WICKED. Doesn't sound the safest does it?"

"She could be their bait, she draws us in here and WICKED's just waiting for the right moment to catch us,"

"Not possible," Jorge said quickly "WICKED wants her dead, the lengths they went to even try and track her down were unimaginable. She would not be doing their dirty work," it went quiet again as they all thought.

"I like her," Fry said randomly.

"What?" Gally asked

"I like her, she saved Brenda's life. I mean sure she's not... the most favourable person alive but don't you think she knows what she's doing? Everything she does is smart and quick. If we wanna survive out here in the Scorch we need her,"

"What, you in love with her too?" Gally mocked,

"He has a point Gally. She's been in the Scorch for years. We've been here for what a week or so. She's lasted this long she clearly knows what she's doing," Thomas continued

"You just need to not kill her," Newt shrugged with a smile.

"I'm not making any promises," Gally scoffed. The light murmur of music came from the distance making the whole group grow quiet. The music was increasing in volume as did a pair of footsteps.

It was a simple song, that sounded old through the mixtape Jennifer was playing it from. It was only when she arrived back with the group she realised they were all staring at the thing that played music. "You all right?" She asked as she clicked it off holding up the goose and rabbit she had butchered.

* * *

It was the middle of the night. Everywhere was quiet and hollow, or so, that Jennifer thought until a snap of a branch bought her out of her sleep. She had become a natural light sleeper after the outbreak from being so constantly on edge.

She stayed still, hoping she could blend into the foliage. Until another snap echoed through the woods. Her hand moved to rest on the quill of her arrows very very slowly. Then another snap, this one closer and followed by the sound of leaves moving.

Whatever it was, it was coming for her. Without thinking she jolted it, her arrow pulling against the string "Make a move and this arrow is going to make home in your throat," she threatened in the darkness of the night.

"Bow down," he sighed as he continued to walk towards her, he wasn't bothered by her deathly threats anymore. They had turned so often that he saw no need in being scared.

"It's you again," she said as she did in fact drop the bow. "What are you doing awake?"

"Went to pee, couldn't sleep?"

"I was asleep, you and your loud feet woke me up,"

"Sorry, do you mind?" He asked motioning to sit next to her.

"Feel free," she breathed as she sunk back into the cushioned ground, glancing up through a small gap at the starry night sky.

"It's pretty," he exclaimed as he joined her.

"Mhm,"

"They were talking about you earlier, while you were gone,"

"Really? When am I going to be executed? Oh let me guess, your here to kill me now because your the one I trust most?"

"No," he laughed quietly "They don't all hate you now, only Gally,"

"Hm, wonder why," she said sarcastically, there was a pause again.

"I like you," he whispered so quietly she even sure if she heard him right. There was another pause while she thought of a reply.

"Why?" She asked as she turned her head to the side to look at him, only parts of his face were alight by the moon. He thought about his answer for a second. He didn't know. There was just something about her he just... enjoyed. Something about her company or her voice. Something along the lines of that. Maybe it was the fact she was easy to talk to, simple and funny.

"Why wouldn't I?" Was all he could put out.

"I'm the worst. I'm mean, violent. You name it,"

"Your not that bad," he sighed turning to see her laughing.

"You have no idea the things I've done, Blondie," she sighed and looked back up at the sky. There was silence again as if they had both mutually decided to fall asleep telepathically.