015

"I told her I liked her and she disappeared, all right?" He lied. It was a complete and utter lie. "Now do you mind? I want to apologise in buggin' peace," why was Newt lying for Jennifer? That didn't make any sense.

Just minutes prior he had found out some groundbreaking information that could determine who she was. But he didn't tell the group? She didn't understand

"You shank," Minho laughed hitting Newt on the shoulder before turning to the others "Let's leave little lover boy to get his heartbroken," Minho said as he walked away.

They were alone again, Jennifer hoped they wouldn't leave her alone with him but Newt's lie seems to have them all hooked. She sat down on the edge of the tree and Newt stood up in front of her.

"Show me," he demanded.

"No," she said back harshly still refusing to look at him.

"Jenny, you have to show me-"

"You need to stop lookin' so angry. Your meant to be apologising for confessing your love to me. Which may I add, fantastic lie,"

"Show me your shoulder or else I'll tell them the truth,"

"Do it," she taunted,

"Jennifer I swear, just show me or tell me how you know about the Glade," he two ideas going. First idea, she was in Group B. Second idea, the same thing that happened here and The Mazes were abandoned and she discovered it.

"Blondie," she said as she stood up "You can threaten me with anything, you can tell anyone but nothing is going to make me show you something that isn't there," she said as she pulled down either side of her top revealing her bare shoulders.

"What the hell is she doing?" Minho whispered to Merlin who was perched on his shoulder.

Newt was stunned, he was convinced it was an ideal one. It's the only one that made the most sense but this meant it had to be idea two. "Uh... how did you find the Maze?"

"What?" She asked genuine confusion in her voice.

"Wasn't it abandoned when you found it?" He asked back. Boom, Jennifer thought. The easy way out.

"Yes, I stumbled across it when I was strolling the desert,"

"Oh... I wonder if it was our Maze," he breathed, this was all so surprising. She had discovered the Maze just potentially days after he might have left.

"Doubt it. It was completely empty,"

"I meant after we escaped,"

"Oh..."

"Were there huts?"

"...can't remember. Hey why did you lie to the others?"

"I didn't think you'd want me to tell them,"

"Why would you care?"

"Because if we're... linked we need to have each others backs," he finished placing a hand on her shoulder before walking back to the others.

***

It was quiet. Finally. Jennifer thought. She and Newt had sat being questioned for most of the evening due to her outburst. She was awake, she knew Newt was awake but didn't feel the effort to talk to him.

Newt was just inches away from her, he turned his head to the side and for the first time, he realised just how beautiful she was.

Parts of her face were alight from the moon just above. Her eyelids were shut and her face flawless, she looked so clean. Considering their situation her skin being so perfect was unbelievable. His eyes began to study her sharp jawline.

Following it down to her neck and her collar bones that disappeared just slightly at the hem of her shirt. "What you staring at?" She whispered as not to wake the others. He met her eyes quickly his face going red but thankfully the night hid that from her.

"I was uh, looking for an scratches on you,"

"Right..."

"I was,"

"Mhm," she agreed turning down so her head so it buried into the rucksack below her.

"Do you-"

"Save the questions for the morning Blondie. I'm trying to sleep,"

"Okay," he sighed, and then there was quietness. Stillness. Yet ideas were spilling in Newt's head. Everything about that day was bizarre. Turns out he and Jennifer are linked because he felt something towards her, she then tried to kill him, then she reveals that she went into the Maze after it was abandoned.

What a day.

He thought mostly about the last thing. It was so weird. She had been in the Maze abandoned. It was almost unbelievable. So unbelievable that now she was asleep... he might be able to check again.

His cold fingers touched her shoulder blades making her turn slightly before resting back down. He pulled down her shirt slightly revealing her bare shoulder then siding his finger to check the other before something caught his eye.

Small black writing went done her spine. He turned his head to the side to read it. His face dropped, falling into a pale colour.

That wasn't possible, that can't of been possible. She had lied so well. She was in.... group C?

He then noticed that next to the words, carved into her skin were the letters 'F-O-R-M-E-R' in messy handwriting

"Bloody hell," he whispered to himself.