Chapter 4

The New Supreme Lord of the Bathroom

So... how would you react if you realized that your teacher is secretly a Centaur, a man with the body of a horse? Shocked? Excited? Scared? Well... I was traumatized... I'm sort of a cowboy and me? I love to ride horses and sometimes even practice, I sort of wanted to become a jockey, but also a singer... now I'm here seeing my old teacher with horse legs, my mom dead... god what will I tell dad? How can I tell him that mom died? I'll deal with that later... I'm gonna deal with what's happening now.

We passed the volleyball pit. Several of the campers nudged each other. One pointed to the Minotaur horns Percy and I were carrying. Another said, 'That's him.'

Most of the campers were older than us. Their satyr friends were bigger than both Grover and Thomas, all of them trotting around in orange CAMP HALF-BLOOD T-shirts, with nothing else to cover their bare shaggy hindquarters. I'm not shy about meeting new people but meeting girls, weird things and weird people did left me a bit shy, they looked at us expecting to do something impressive like a cartwheel or lift a tree.

I looked back at the farmhouse. It was a lot bigger than I'd realized – four stories tall, sky blue with white trim, like an upmarket seaside resort. I was checking out the brass eagle weather vane on top when something caught my eye, a shadow which I saw in a window to the attic, Percy definitely noticed it too. The curtain move and I quickly thought I or well... Percy and I were being watched.

"What's up there?" Percy asked to Chiron.

He looked to where Percy pointed and his smile faded. "Just the attic."

"Somebody lives there?" I asked.

"No." he said a bit serious. "Not a single living thing."

His tone was a bit serious, like he was hiding something, Chiron was always honest but... noticing he lied to me for so long... I'm not sure if I can trust him.

"Come along, both of you." Chiron said with a forced but lighthearted tone. "Lots to see."

We walked through the strawberry fields, where campers were picking bushels of berries while a satyr played a tune on a reed pipe.

Chiron told us the camp grew a nice crop for export to New York restaurants and Mount Olympus. "It pays our expenses." he explained. "And the strawberries take almost no effort."

He said Mr D had this effect on fruit-bearing plants: they just went crazy when he was around. It worked best with wine grapes, but Mr D was restricted from growing those, so they grew strawberries instead. We watched the satyr playing his pipe. His music was causing lines of bugs to leave the strawberry patch in every direction, like refugees fleeing a fire. I wondered if Grover and Thomas could work that kind of magic with music. I wondered if they were still inside the farmhouse, being lectured by Mr D.

"Tommy won't get in trouble, right?" I asked Chiron. "He's a good person, a-and a good protector."

"Yeah, same as Grover." Percy stated.

Chiron sighed. He shed his tweed jacket and draped it over his horse's back like a saddle. "The two of them have dreams, bigger than are reasonable. Though Thomas is more experienced and older than Grover but still a bit new to the job. To reach their goal, they must first demonstrate great courage by succeeding as a keeper, finding a new camper and bringing him safely to Half-Blood Hill."