Chapter 8

I'm never getting on a bus

It didn't take me that long to pack... if not, didn't take long at all. I left my Minotaur horn with Percy's, as well as my hat and guitar, no way in hell I was gonna take those to the quest.

But before I did give Percy my guitar, I put a hand in the back of it, where mom had the quote written... my heart back to you, mom.

The camp store loaned Percy one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas. These coins were as big as Girl Scout cookies and had images of various Greek gods stamped on one side and the Empire State Building on the other. The ancient mortal drachmas had been silver, Chiron told us, but Olympians never used less than pure gold. Chiron said the coins might come in handy for nonmortal transactions, no idea what that means but okay. He gave Annabeth and Percy  each a flask of nectar and an airtight bag full of ambrosia squares, to be used only in emergencies, if we were seriously hurt. It was god food, Chiron reminded us. It would cure us of almost any injury, but it was lethal to mortals... can't imagine what it will do, and if we use too much, we're kinda dead.

Annabeth was going to bring her blue Yankees cap, that Athena gave it to her in her 12th birthday. She also was going to take an architecture book, written in Ancient Greek, not that I care a lot.

Thomas and Grover wore their fake feet and trousers. They both wore a hat, to hide their horns and if it rains, the horns would be more noticeable cause well... of course, the hair will flatten and we will see it more clearly.

Kajsa was just going to bring a magazine... yes a magazine... and a comb, towels, and a... dagger, or two actually, made of Celestial Bronze as Thomas once told me what the weapons are made of. Gonna be honest, her being a daughter of Aphrodite shocks me to see she has such weapons, though again, she doesn't fight much, so being honest, as much as I hate her, Annabeth can beat her with her Celestial Bronze knife probably too easily.

We waved goodbye to the other campers, took one last look at the strawberry fields, the ocean and the Big House, then hiked up Half Blood Hill to the tall pine tree that used to be Thalia, daughter of Zeus.

Chiron was waiting for us in his wheelchair. Next to him was some surfer guy, if I remember correctly, he is Argus, the Head of Security in the camp. He is suppose to have eyes around his entire body, though his choice of clothes nullify that, but I still saw a few eyes in his palms... gross.

"This is Argus." Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

I heard footsteps behind us, just to see Luke running up that hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you."

Annabeth blushed after that, does she realizes that he is legal and she is a 12 year old? This is so disgusting, bleh.

"Just wanted to say good luck." Luke told Percy. "And I thought... um, maybe you could use these."

He gave Percy the shoes, though they looked kinda normal... very normal.

Luke said, "Maia!"

And I talked to early... the shoes started to grow wings out of the heels. Percy was startled so he dropped them, and when the shoes flattened, thee wings retracted