Dig

Craig could only guess one or two months have passed since the incident, he could swear she'd just...Pop up.

It wasn't like a hallucination, no. At least that's what Craig couldn't label it as such.

He could just be simply walking by Jason's house or a garden of pretty purple flowers, his mind would flash to the rock with Jason's mother's initials carved in the rock.

"Shit, no don't think of that"Craig thought to himself as he ate his breakfast for school, his bus would be here in a bit so he didn't need to be throwing up on the kids on the bus. Besides, he didn't want to miss time capsule day at school.

Before Craig was even born kids that used to go to Craig's school took something from home, went to school and buried it at an assigned spot at the school, the school would wait a few years and the new generation of kids would dig up the past kid's stuff. Craig thought those kids were either dead or too old to even remember what they buried but Craig didn't care that much, he just wanted something to dig up. Today was going to a good day, he'd find something cool and he can share it with Kelsey and Jp.

Craig pushed in his chair sliding his finished bowl towards his mother to wash later on, he grabbed his red backpack from beside his seat, grabbed his keys, had to wait for Jessica...But besides that he was finally on the bus and riding to school.

When the bus met it's stopped in front of the school, Craig was the first to jump out the bus and run to his classroom. The blabber about the time capsule refused to vacate when the teacher, Ms.Muhberry walked in, it didn't stop until the teacher called for the class to sit in their assigned seats and to listen to the directions. "Now children, follow me outside I'll give you your assigned spots on where you can dig"Ms.Muhberry glided the paper on her desk from where she left it and went out the door for her class to follow.

Unsurprisingly Craig was the first child out his seat, "Oh hey, this reminds me of the digging for fossils we did earlier at the creek"Craig thought to himself. As he walked behind his teacher outside into the back of the school he recalled the moments mentally to himself as his classmates also walked along letting their excitement flow around them.

Eventually they were all outside of course a handful of kids were quick to try and rush into the scene and start digging but the teacher put her arm out in front of the smaller ones to block their way "Nah ah ah! Listen to the directions before you run off like that! You will all get your assigned a spot to dig and find something, I'll give you your shovels to start digging soon"The teacher took the laminated papers from under her arm and started passing it out to the children in front of her, Craig soon got his and excitement went over him as he turned the paper on it's front side and he got a look at the spot he'd start digging.

His treasure awaited him by the tree that gave the hop scotch area shade for the kids to play at, but the spot was specific. A large rock was blocking the spot Craig was supposed to dig, "Oh I'm sorry Craig, that rock wasn't there when the kid buried their item, it's okay I'll see if I can move it for you"Ms.Muhberry asked noticing Craig's obstacle.

Craig felt a pit in his stomach spawn as he put his paper to his side and looked down. Craig couldn't protest and Ms.Muhberry was already putting her palms around the rock and giving it a hard push, like the moment from a month before in Jason's backyard.

The ruined flowers, the grave...

Ms.Muhberry was making fair progress pushing the rock but a boy saw she was trying to push the rock out Craig's way, the boy decided to help and gave the rock a push like her "Oh thank you"The teacher smiled continuing pushing the rock.

Craig was starting to wish he got a new spot instead of Ms.Muhberry using all the strength she formed from lifting weights after work and getting help from a random kid Craig forgot was in his class, he was starting to wish the progress was going as slow as if Ms.Muhberry hadn't lifted any weights. Craig watched the dead grass get ripped from it's surface as the rock went over it, a ladybug neither the teacher or the boy noticed was resting near the rock being crushed.