Field trip kiss

"Have I tried on the bow-tie you got me? No, no, not yet, I forgot. Do you want me to try it on now? Okay..."

Jason put the phone down beside him while sitting on his bedroom floor.

"Now, how do I put this on?" Jason asked Tony once he finally had the bowtie in his hand. He could use a break from packing.

The Forest Scout trip was coming close, so Jason no longer had an excuse to not be packed for the trip yet. Wildernessa had agreed to still look after the sapling and continued to help, yet Jason could never have a conversation with her. It was as if the moment he shared with her was a limited time deal that he just lost. But then he started watching Boris and Tony, and they didn't even need to try to get her to talk to them.

Vanessa was more than willing to sit with Tony and look at his photos. Though she always skimmed through the ones that didn't consist of either the creek or an animal Tony would get the picture of on a good day. Even though she would lightly scold him for 'harassing' animals for their picture, Wildernessa was always more comfortable with Tony than Jason.

He recalled one time when it was time to leave, and Boris wanted to give her a hug goodbye. Even though she looked like she wanted to kill him just for the idea, she ended up liking the hug in the end. Though she have never admitted it.

But Jason was the odd one out. She gave him short responses to words delivered by him and showed discomfort.

"Okay, so like this? Tony, how should I know, I've never put one on!"

Jason twisted his hands around the bowtie in order to get it to work, yet nothing did.

Behind the ajar door eavesdropping on Jason's conversation was once again Eleanor. She looked at the bowtie Jason was trying desperately to tie around his neck. He tried again and again but was left to it coming undone each time.

She glared at Vitamin and Pearl. Maybe she should set up another yard sale, one while Jason's at school or a scout meeting.

He looked busy also. He was juggling talking to one of his friends on the phone while failing miserably at a simple task.

"The scout leader said they'll be getting a new volunteer? Tony, were you eavesdropping on the girl scouts again?"

A frown landed on Eleanor's face. Oh, she never knew there were girls in the Junior Forest Scouts.

"Yeah, I do like the bowtie... But I just can't get it on... It's been a while since I saw my dad put his on, so I have no reference..."

Eleanor made her presence known by slamming Jason's bedroom door open and inviting herself inside. Never in a million years would she let Jason process the sudden action. She kneeled beside him and took control. She grabbed the bowtie and applied it to Jason's neck correctly, slowly. Slow enough for Jason to understand.

When she was done, she stared at what she had done for a moment then left before Jason could thank her.

Jason sat there on the bedroom floor dumbfounded.

What entity possessed Eleanor this afternoon?

"Jason? Jason, are you there?"

Oh, he was still on the phone with Tony.

"Yes, Tony, I hear you."

"Oh good. Well, okay, maybe I did just this one time, but they said they heard they used to be a Forest Scout too. Jason, maybe it's Shannon. You think she's come back?"

Jason paused his thoughts. He felt around his bowtie to unpause his thoughts and give Tony a response.

That was a name Jason was convinced he wouldn't hear ever again.