Chapter 5

Lucien spared no expense.

The hotel was perhaps the most luxurious place Vivalda had seen, aside from the mansions that actually served as permanent homes. High ceilings, marble pillars, murals on the walls, staff in all black with Rolex watches and Gucci bels. He wasn't shy about spending money and treating himself to everything it could buy for him.

She sat in the lobby, still in her dress, legs crossed as she read a boring magazine and learned a few new slang terms that she didn't quite like, but was sure someone like Rebekah would lap up immediately if she was to play the part of a high school teen.

"It seems like the high tide was washed in a siren."

"Am I that loud?" said Vivalda sweetly, not looking up at him. "Forgive me, I'll turn down the screaming inside my head."

Lucien offered his hand once she set the magazine down. He pulled her to her feet, kissing her on the cheek, arm already quite comfortable around her waist, thumb ghosting over her bare back. "My, it is good to see you, love," he said, not at all shy about personal space the way Tristan had been. "The years are always incredibly kind to you, Vivalda, you look gorgeous."

"You look good, too," she said, close enough to admire the individual threads on his suit. "You've finally figured out how to wear your hair. I'm proud of you."

He put a hand on his chest. "I'd take it as a compliment if I didn't know any better. Ah, Valda, do I have a fun night planned for us. And it starts with the hotel bar. Come, come."

He ushered her into the next room, sitting her with him and ordering a bottle of Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Vivalda raised a brow when she saw the price on the menu. "This is some pre-game."

"Only the best," said Lucien, taking the bottle and pouring them both a drink. "To seeing one another again. It's been fartoo long."

"Not long enough," she teased. "I could have survived another century. I didn't know you were so needy."

"I take great offense to that, I hope you know. But enough about looks, because you know as well as I that we are both in our prime, as beautiful and handsome as we could be. Anyone with a lick of sense will loathe us because they'll wish to be us. Tell me, where to from here? I imagine Nik doesn't want you out of the house just yet."

She smirked, taking a small sip. "Oh, he won't want me to go, I'm sure. He's dying for attention constantly. But I am not going to tolerate his behavior any longer. Likely tomorrow or the day after, I will be out of his hair. You know, that is one compliment I will give. At least you take care of yourself. Nik, well," she rolled her eyes, "cares more about entertaining children than fixing himself up."

Lucien hummed, "And that's why he's there, in torment, and not out in the world enjoying the finer things in life. The finer people. I wouldn't trade the money, the women, and the jets for anything. A lavish existence is the only existence fitting for people like us, wouldn't you agree?"

"Mm, I'm less inclined to luxury than you are but only because I easily grow restless. Last I heard, you were building another company. How did that work out for you?"

"It has gone as great as my previous ideas. Kingmaker Land Development, headed by darling philanthropist Lucien Castle who donates great sums to those in need, builds the greatest homes and hotels," he gestured around them, "known to man, and is also devilishly handsome."

"My, my, my," she said, tapping his ankle with her foot. "It's a wonder he finds time to hang out with the lowly Mikaelsons who don't have such well-known companies."

"Don't be ridiculous, your weapons have been purchased by governments all over the world, everyone knows it. Your industry is simply different than mine. Well, perhaps not so different. I have been dabbling in science as of late and I do think it has taken off for me."