Chapter 7

She laid alone in bed.

It was too hot to wear the covers, but too cold to leave her feet uncovered. She tossed and turned, staring at the ceiling, wondering what sort of explosion the house would bear witness to when Tristan and Lucien were put into the same room for the first time in a thousand years to discuss their arrangement with her. To both be in a relationship with her.

"I don't see why you're worried," said Antonella over the phone. "I mean, come on, Lucien is much more passionate, he'll put up with anything. Tristan will be down-to-earth when you need it and will keep you both contained."

"That's exactly what I'm worried about," said Vivalda, fighting to make another small braid before she pinned her hair up. "Tristan might get annoyed by that and Lucien could just get under his skin and then, poof, it all goes up in flames. Maybe I shouldn't have been so selfish, trying to enjoy two people at the same time."

"Honey, after all that you've done to deny yourself love for a thousand years because you were thinking of your family's best interests, you get to be a little selfish. Plus, I don't see why you should limit yourself to one when you can have both. Provided these two don't kill each other."

"Exactly, what if I am putting them together and creating a ticking time bomb? Lucien's response was fine, but Tristan's is the one I'm worried about."

"There is one silver lining here. Well, maybe not a real silver lining, but the fact stands that you are stronger than them and if anyone attacks anyone else, you'll be able to handle it."

"And what comes after that? Do I just... make it known to the vampire world that we're together? The Strix are obviously gonna know, and so will you and my other close sirelings. But in a way, I make myself vulnerable. My siblings could find out and try to take them from me, or any enemies still laying around could recruit the help of a powerful witch and take them to get something out of me."

"Please, Vivi, that's why you have me! I find out about all the whispers and tell them to you so you can be prepared. You have handled every threat that has come your way. Hell, when someone says you can't do something, you do it just to prove you can and you excel at it. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. You've protected me for a thousand years, you gave me the means to be successful. The least I can do is tell you when I hear about some scheme. After all, anyone that comes for you comes for me."

Vivalda managed a smile. "Thank you, Toni."

"And if the problem is your siblings, we will end them. Not literally, but with the daggers. I have a couple of witches up my sleeve and Tristan and Lucien sure as hell have some up theirs. Anyone comes for you, we put them to sleep. They are done controlling you."

"This time, we will make it a reality," she huffed. "Okay, enough about me. I'm done with my rant. What's new on your end?"

"Well, new company branch, more designs, expanding into different fabrics imported from around the world. Your brother hit me up. I want to go back to college and–"

"Woah, woah, woah. You cannot just drop a bomb like that and expect me not to ask about it."

Antonella giggled. "Kol called me. Before you arrived, actually, he seemed to be on a plane himself. Said if I happen to be in Egypt next week, I should go and find him."

"Finally. Oh, that idiot has needed to just screw his head on right and ask you out properly for the longest time. The fool has found you attractive since I turned you and he just couldn't say anything."

"Probably at first because he thought you wouldn't want him to. And then he got distracted, lost his ability to be polite. No matter. We'll see what he has to offer."