Chapter 11

Vivalda disliked children.

She could tolerate them for short periods of time. Marcel had been different, he was older and obedient and he liked learning how to fence, something she was glad to teach. Anyone younger was obnoxious. Older teens were rude.

Her brother wasn't all that different in his opinions. How, then, was anyone expecting him to accept the fact that like the idiot he was, he'd knocked up Hayley Marshall and now had to deal with the consequences of his own actions? (He never did that.)

"Alright, alright, calm down," she sighed, rubbing her forehead as Elijah called with another update. "So you convinced him to keep the baby? Why?"

"Are you implying that you do not want it to be born?" said Elijah, flabbergasted.

"No! But if both parents didn't want it, why press on? Hayley is young and Klaus didn't even want to have a serious conversation about what he did. Do you really think our brother is ready to be a father? If he is able to have children, that's fine, but shouldn't he wait until he is prepared to take that role? Is seven months really enough time for him to be the father he didn't have?"

"I will do everything I can to help him. I think this child could offer him the one thing that he's never believed he's had. The unconditional love of family. We have all left him at one point or another, we have all turned our backs to him. But this could be an opportunity for him to learn selflessness, to act solely in the interest of another."

"You said that about Marcel and look where we are now. How has he been alive all this time and we haven't known? Either our lieutenants are incompetent or he's smarter than we ever gave him credit for. And what, the witches just think that they can make Klaus kill his own son to protect a fetus he has yet to care about? Elijah, this sounds like a very bad idea."

"It will work, sister, I know it. Rebekah is coming to help with Hayley. I would like for you to join us. Kol as well, if he is willing."

"I'll think about it but I will let you know in advance that I want to say no. I've no desire to hear Klaus complaining all the time and I'm not a caretaker, I'm a protector in much different terms. I'm not even good with children. I wouldn't know what to say to Hayley. And I don't care to talk to her in the first place, she's a little girl and I am not friends with anyone more than five centuries younger than me."

"Vivalda, please take it under heavy consideration. Niklaus is more likely to be prepared if we are all there to support him."

"Well he's more likely to want to be a dad if I'm not there to remind him of the very real fears he has. I can't keep my mouth shut if he's already acting paranoid. Because if he's afraid... he has reason to be."

"I would have hoped your sense of optimism to have improved by now."

"It never will, brother."

-

"What are you thinking about?"

"New Orleans, funnily enough," said Vivalda, facedown on Lucien's bed as he caressed her bare back. "The whole world is buzzing... someone in New Orleans didn't know how to keep quiet about the miracle baby."

"The witches can feel it," said Lucien. "Alexis knew before you told me." He paused. "I think you should go."

She turned to face him. "What?"

He shrugged. "I know Nik, I know that in a time like this, he will become easily frustrated with Elijah telling him what to do, with Rebekah harping on about how she will be an aunt, how she can't wait to see the baby. If Kol were to go, he'd just lose interest and be no help. But you, love, you would be the one that would actually care what he is feeling, who would listen and offer realistic advice, should he seek it. You may fight with him the most but do you know why, Vivalda? Your words matter more to him than anyone else's. He will go against Elijah and Finn, Rebekah and Kol almost always agree because they want his attention. But you challenge him and you make him see what is true."