Chapter 27

Everyone was in a bad mood.

Despite having killed Mikael, Klaus was acting sour, perhaps because Freya had stormed out and Finn had followed after her to bring comfort, leaving the rest of them to deal with the matter of Esther's resurrection. They'd left the hybrid alone to sulk (his choice) while formulating a plan upstairs, returning to the courtyard and finding that Klaus had taken Mikael's ashes and hidden them.

"Is something the matter?" said Klaus sweetly as they stared in disbelief, catching him making mimosas. "Can I fix you all a drink, perhaps?"

"This isn't funny," said Kol, aggravated. "We're trying to make the right weapon and you've absconded with one of the ingredients we need?"

"I'm going to get someone on that in case he isn't cooperative," muttered Vivalda, already texting some of her sirelings to see who could get her Viking ash the fastest.

Elijah watched Klaus, holding out a hand. "How are you possibly in a mimosa mood when there is strategy to be discussed?"

Klaus ignored him, opting instead to nod at Rebekah, who was typing furiously on her phone. "What's the matter?"

"I'm checking on our sister!" replied Rebekah hotly. "And I myself am not in the best of spirits. It's not every day you lose your father at the hands of your brother. Again."

The hybrid laughed heartily. "Who ever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?" They were silent. "Oh, come on! We all fled Mikael's tyranny together for centuries! I would have thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant!"

"There will be time to celebrate," complained Kol. "After we decide which of us is going to dig our mother up."

"Indeed," said Elijah. "Under normal circumstances, the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus. Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with. Murdering Father alienated the one person who truly knows how to defeat Dahlia. And if you continue to hide the ashes, it will not matter that we resurrect our mother to take her blood!"

"If Freya wants to be part of this family, she should be willing to accept us, warts and all!"

Vivalda scoffed. "This is more than a wart! We may have all hated him and we may not exactly mind that he is dead, but she had a different image and as cruel as it is to say this, we could have taken advantage of the power she has over him. He got us the ingredients in the first place because she stood to benefit from it. We needed her, you could have easily killed him after Dahlia was defeated."

"The girl who rips apart anyone who even breathes in her presence is now telling me that killing has a time and place?"

"I have very rarely killed someone without first assessing whether I need them in the future or not."

"Shut up!" hissed Kol. "Someone's here."

The four of them rushed out into the courtyard, stunned at the sight of a witch, who Elijah seemed to recognize.

"Josephine La Rue," muttered Elijah. "The Regent of the Nine Covens."

Vivalda and Kol shared a look, wondering what the hell she was doing there. The woman smiled at Elijah, "Forgive me for calling so early, Elijah, but, I've come bearing a message from your aunt Dahlia."

Their confused looks were replaced by glares. "She is owed a debt," continued Josephine, "and she means to be paid."

"She can writhe in Hell first," snapped Klaus.

"For merely taking what your mother promised her? If you must harbor hatred, isn't it better spent on the one who traded your child away a thousand years ago? Blame Esther, if you must, but I seek only to fulfill a bargain. A bargain that, consequently, resulted in your very existence. Perhaps you should be thanking me?"