Chapter 9

News from Mystic Falls bored her.

Her suspicions were confirmed within a day. Klaus was not dead. By some miracle, the Bennett witch, Bonnie, had saved him to keep her friends alive.

Despite how miserable Rebekah was when she thought Klaus had died, she'd flipped a switch the moment she found out he still walked among them. Vivalda had to mute herself to enjoy a conversation with Aurora about Antonella's company while Rebekah ranted about how she'd been kidnapped and Klaus had rescued his little vampire Caroline instead of her.

"Are you or are you not alive?" said Vivalda after Rebekah finally tired herself out, and Aurora had gone out for dinner with Tristan.

"Yes, but–"

"Didn't your kidnappers die already? Blown up in their own house?"

"Yes, but–"

"Didn't you already destroy all the remaining bags of doppelgänger blood and ensure Nik can't replace our family with those weak little hybrids?"

"Yes, but–"

"Then I see the matter through, Rebekah. Of course he chose Caroline over you if he was in Tyler's body. And even then, our brother is an idiot. I don't know what else you expected."

"I wish to hurt him."

"Are you really more inclined to get revenge against Nik than against your little boy toy and his friends after they killed Finn and led to this predicament in the first place?" The woman was silent. "There is a simple solution if this has irritated you. Elena Gilbert risen as a vampire ensures they will be preoccupied with her. Teaching her, coddling her. If you really wish to stop suffering this way, you will let it be and leave. Let them be someone else's problem, not yours. There is no need for you to keep playing out this high school fantasy and staying with Klaus when all he does is cast you aside. There are better things to do. We control the white oak and you are no longer in danger. Get going, live anywhere else. Let Nik rot with his hybrids if he wants to. He does not care about you, Rebekah. It's time you started caring enough about yourself to realize that."

As always, her sister was stubborn. Vivalda decided there was no point in continuing to argue. If Rebekah wanted to be a fool, then she could deal with the consequences.

"I don't see why Nik bothers with those hybrids," said Kol as Vivalda cut his hair the following afternoon. "He isn't teaching them, he's only keeping them as servants. Any old human or vampire will serve that purpose. Why make hybrids if he isn't going to turn them into an army?"

"Would you want him to?" she asked with a scoff.

"Not exactly, but I see no point in having them and not giving them purpose. The first one, Tyler, he was attacked yesterday while Rebekah was sulking. Some vampire hunter, it seems."

Vivalda snorted. "Well, that's humiliating. A vampire hunter, likely human, who is able to cause harm to a hybrid? Embarrassing. The boy is weak, he does not even know how to use his heightened senses."

"Then perhaps you should train them."

"I won't train them if they're beginners. Nik knows more about their senses, and until he shows them how to use them, I won't take on pupils who will just stare at me like idiots. I can teach them to fight, to kill, but if they cannot first detect an attack, if they cannot first channel their wolf strength to prepare, if they cannot hone their unique advantages... then it will all be for nothing." She set the scissors down, fluffing out his hair, then styling it. "There, you are ready for tonight."

"Of course I am," said Kol. "We'll start with dinner at a bought-out restaurant to ensure privacy. You said Antonella likes a spot of competition and archery... so I've already prepared a field for us. Technology is a wonder nowadays. Electronic obstacles that will move and give us quite the show. To freshen up, a feast of blood before we enter a gazebo, alone, with compelled musicians who will let us dance together."