4.Like a moth to a flame

"Mom, have you seen the blue color file? It was on the table only." He barked in the kitchen, dressed in a suit.

She was sitting on the kitchen island, eating her apple. Her heart missed a beat seeing his magnificent presence. He always looked good in suits.

"I haven't seen it, son." She said whilst busy whisking the eggs.

"Mom, where is dad?" He asked, running his hand through his hair.

Nawal remembered him doing this always when he was in trouble.

She was happy seeing him all worked up.

"He left for office." Aqsa busily answered.

"And you also hurry up. You have a meeting to attend. Remember?" She added.

Hearing his mother he ran out of the Kitchen.

It was 15 past 8 and he was still in the house.

***

"You are such an irresponsible person. I curse the moment I decided to hand over this important project to you." Haidar angrily roared, making everyone flinch in their places.

Adil couldn't find the file so the meeting was cancelled. Few hours later Haidar entered the house furiously asking for Adil's presence.

Nawal regretted her action and wanted to spill the truth but Haidar's enraged behavior didn't let her.

"Get out now." Haidar barked at Adil whilst loosening his tie.

Adil left the living room.

"I'm so disappointed." Haidar murmured and swiftly moved towards his room, Aqsa following behind.

"Dad went overboard with bhai. I know how dedicated he is with his work." Zayan mumbled, shaking his head disappointedly.

"What happened to you?" He shook her when he found her frozen on the spot.

"Na... Na... nothing." She stuttered.

"Don't worry bhai will be ok." Zayan thought she was upset because of Adil so he consoled her with a pat on her cheek.

She looked at him once and moved towards her room.

Adil's deep red eyes and hurtful look was haunting her.

She wanted to go behind disheveled Adil but she knew it wouldn't be a good idea when the cause of his condition was her and solely her.

***

"Adil, come son, have some food. You haven't eaten anything since morning." Aqsa said whilst running her hand through his hair.

He was laying on his stomach, his face pressed on the pillow.

"Adil, please." When he didn't budge, Aqsa helplessly called him.

"Mom, I'm not hungry." He said gruffly.

"Adil son...."

"Mom, leave the food here. I'll eat it after sometime." He said and Aqsa sighed heavily and left his room.

Adil wasn't a kid to whom she could forcefully feed.

"Mom, did bhai eat?" Zayan asked and Aqsa nodded negatively.

"Gudiya, at least you finish your dinner." Aqsa said when she saw Nawal leaving the dining room without finishing her food.

"I'm done aani." She said and marched towards her room.

She wasn't at peace. She kept pacing in her room. Sleep was far away from her.

She should at least apologize to Adil.

With that thought she stepped towards Adil's room.

***

She entered after knocking. She saw him entangled in his blanket laying on his back. His gaze fixed on the ceiling.

She coughed to get his attention.

"You didn't have your food?" She asked, looking towards the tray filled with food on the bedside table.

He didn't reply to her, but threw one accusing glance at her.

She kept standing there whilst fidgeting with her fingers.

This was the first time she was nervous in front of him after her 15th birthday day.

"Do whatever you are here to do and leave my room." He said covering his eyes with his right arm.

"Huh?" She didn't know what he was saying.

"Aren't you here to apologize?" He said and fixed his gaze on her.

"So he knew." She thought and cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"You should be. You... You.. are the sole cause of all my distress. You don't even know how you have snatched the peace of my mind since you have stepped in my life. Just leave...... Your face alone is very distasteful." He started slow and barked at the end making her flinch in her place with the amount of hate she felt coming from him.

She looked in his eyes.... Which reflected rage and hate.

She turned on her heels...... determined to never cause any distress to him again.

***

"Mom! What's wrong? Have you been crying?" Adil asked Aqsa seeing her red puffy eyes.

Yesterday night he couldn't fall asleep easily, it was nearly the morning when he spiraled into sleep so it was afternoon when he woke up.

After freshening up he came downstairs and saw Aqsa sitting idly in the living room.

When she saw him, she went to the kitchen to take out food for him.

He followed her and whilst taking the plate from her hand, he saw her swollen eyes.

"Have your food, your father wants to talk to you. He is in the study room." She ignored his question and marched out before he could ask anything else.

***

He knocked on the study room's door and entered after hearing faint 'come in'.

He looked cautiously towards his father.

"Adil, come son. I need to talk to you." Haidar raised his head from the journal he was busy going through and addressed him politely.

He was shocked at his father's calm demeanor but nonetheless he nodded and took a seat in front of him.

"Is he going to kick me out of my job or worse the house?"He thought, gulping nervously.

"I'm sorry son. I shouldn't have shouted at you like that." Few minutes later, he heard Haidar speak.

"No dad please." He was dumbfounded for a few seconds but recovered soon.

But before the conversation could further escalate, an important call took Haidar's attention and he with a subtle nod of his head asked Adil to leave.

***

"Hello bhai. Are you alright now?" He was going out when he bumped into Zayan.

"I'm fine." Saying he moved past him.

Zayan shrugged his shoulders and sauntered towards his room.

The relationship between the brothers wasn't normal.

Adil rarely initiated any conversation with Zayan.

Even though Zayan tried to smoothen their strained relation, Adil's 'not interested' look didn't let the tree of his effort bear any fruit.

***

Happy reading!!
See ya tomorrow