VIII

A feeling of dread ripped me from my slumbers. A finger of moonlight pointed across the carpet from the turret slit. I sat up and pulled the bedcovers to my chin. Swiftly, I surveyed the room. I felt as though I were not alone. Then, I saw the creature.

Hanging upside down from the bed curtains, a huge black bat ogled me. Its beady red eyes seemed to glow in the shadowed corner. I pulled myself to my knees and shrieked.

"Get out of here!" I yelled frantically.

Grabbing my pillow, I began beating at the dreadful mammal. I rose to my knees and battered it, screaming like a banshee. Its wings began to beat briskly, and it suddenly flew into my face. I flared at it with my arms and finally connected. The bat spiraled against the wall and landed, with a thud, on the floor.

I leaped out of bed and stared at the abominable beast. The black body convulsed, and its wings beat on the floor. My heart pounded as I bent to examine it closely. Fearing I harmed it, I prodded it with my toe. Abruptly, the bat rose and swooped through the open slit. I ran after it and, halting at the window, watched it fly into a nearby tree.

England seemed a million miles away, in a different world. Hugging myself, I tentatively sat on the edge of the bed. Since Mama returned from her honeymoon, I rarely saw her. She no longer occupied the other turret bed chamber. Occasionally, I saw her wraithlike form slip along the ghastly corridors. However, when I chased her, she vanished.

I longed to speak to my mother, to share confidences with her. Due to her neglect, I fell behind in my studies. Day after day, I roamed the castle corridors. The abandoned bedrooms remained unkempt, leaving me to wonder where the Baron and his family slept.

When the sun set, I returned to the turret. As soon as I mounted the spiral stairway, I heard the bolt slam into place. From sunset to dawn, I remained a prisoner in the tower. In the morning, Helga, carrying my breakfast tray, unlocked the door.

"Ranulf has a horrible lump on his forehead," the chambermaid gossiped. "Grandmama put ice on it." She giggled. "Women trouble, she suspects."

My heart fluttered at the nephew's name, then it sank. I imagined him carousing in the nearby village inn late at night. I decided that a handsome young man like Ranulf must have a love interest.

Absently, I lifted the cover on my breakfast plate and stared at the eggs and sausage. My appetite fled as my jealousy rose. Forcefully, I pushed my thoughts concerning the Baron's nephew aside. Closing my eyes, I recalled an image of Prentiss Wills. I had to find a way to return to England and continue my relationship with him. Ranulf remained out of my grasp; I had no right to consider him.

"Take this away," I commanded sharply. Lifting the tray, I shoved it into Helga's arms.

"But, Miss," the maid exclaimed.

"No, but Miss," I responded snappishly. "I said I do not want it."

Hugging myself, I turned away and stared into the smoldering fire. The thought of Ranulf with another woman disturbed me. A tear clung to my lashes, and I dashed it away.

"I told you to go," I declared, spinning back to the chambermaid.

Helga continued to stand in the midst of the room as though rooted to the spot. She clung to the dining tray. I took a step toward her, and she flew from the room. The door banged behind her.

"Stupid," I chastised myself. I sat on the bed, staring in front of me. Finally, I rose and, wrapping my plaid wool shawl around my shoulders, plodded downstairs.