XXXIII

As we drew closer to Romania, my tension increased. I bulked when we finally reached Bucharest and refused to travel any further. Ranulf coaxed me to finish the journey, but I adamantly refused. The idea of returning to von Helfin castle frightened me.

Resigned to remain close to the Romanian capital, Ranulf escorted me to a charming country inn on the city's outskirts. Our hosts greeted us profusely when he introduced us as Monsieur and Madame Zamphir. They went out of their way to ensure our privacy.

"A short repast will do us a world of good," my husband exclaimed, wrapping his arms around my waist. "You would not have wished to forego a honeymoon on any account, would you, my dear?"

"This is a lovely setting for a romantic holiday," I claimed, leaning my elbows on the balcony parapet.

A vast vineyard spread before me. Dotted here and there, I noticed men and women gathering the harvest into large woven baskets. The orange sun sank deeper toward the horizon, sending shafts of light toward our loggia. Ranulf threw his arms up to cover his face and howled with pain. Hurriedly, he scurried into the bedroom, slamming the doors behind him.

I rushed after him, hastily drawing the curtains. Soaking a washcloth in the water ewer, I dabbed his eyes soothingly.

"It will take a long time to adjust," my soulmate stated, stretching across the bed. "I'm sure you didn't marry me to play nursemaid."

"I'll play at whatever suits you best, my love," I remarked, placing butterfly kisses on his eyelids.

Ranulf reached for me in the darkened room and caressed my cheeks lovingly. I fell into his embrace and shivered slightly when his cold body pressed against mine. He recoiled, knowing his touch shocked me. Gently, I drew him closer, and my lips found his over-moist mouth.

I longed to make love to my husband. Despite our many attempts, we failed each time. Ranulf remained placid regardless of my passion-filled effort to arouse him. Anguish filled his face, and he turned away from me.

"It will take time, my love," I assured him. "The trauma will pass, and you will grow away from your past."

"Will it, Norah?" Ranulf snapped, angry and frustrated with himself. "I wish to please you, to love you, and yet..."

"I wish to please you too."

I reclined on the bed and pulled at my negligee's silken ribbon. The flimsy garment fell away from my exposed body. Ranulf knelt above me, his sanguine eyes traveling from my face to my breasts. He reached out to touch them, then hastily withdrew.

"Nothing," my husband muttered, shaking his head dolefully. Turning abruptly on his heels, he marched from the room.

Hours passed. I anxiously awaited Ranulf's return and finally fell into a fitful sleep. Dawn awakened me, and still, he did not appear. Filled with despair, I paced the room until the door cracked open, and my husband stepped in.

"Where were you?" I cried accusingly.

"Walking and walking and walking," my husband muttered, pacing the room. "I...oh, I feel humiliated." He covered his face and sank onto the bed. I perched beside him.

"What has happened?" Placing my arm across his shoulders, I pulled him to my breast.

"Blood! There was much blood!"

I drew back aghast. The word 'blood' alarmed me, frightened me.

"Blood?" I exclaimed, horrified. "What kind of blood? Human?"

"Pigs," Ranulf muttered, lowering his eyes. "In a pigsty several miles from here. I...I slaughtered them and drank their blood. I could not control myself.