XXII

I sat behind Mama's school desk with a book opened before me. Vlad and Luiza sat side-by-side on the divan, with Vanya seated on the floor in front of them. I cleared my throat and began to read.

"The PRISONER of ZENDA." I cleared my throat. "By Anthony Hope."

I stumbled over the first words, but my voice strengthened as I completed the opening paragraph. Vlad leaned forward and propped his elbows on the knees of his green velvet knickers. Instantly enthralled, he mouthed the words as I spoke them aloud. Luiza showed an interest equal to her brother, but Vanda tuned me out. Her eyes grew blank; then she scurried off to her desk. Drawing a piece of paper toward her, she began to scribble with her coal.

The door creaked open. I paused my recital and glanced up, expecting Ranulf. Previously, he promised to listen to my reading. Instead, Baron von Helfin leaned in the door frame. His beady reddened eyes swept over me, sending shivers down my spine.

"Please join us, Nicolai," Mama encouraged, scuttling toward her husband. She held her hand out invitingly. "Norah narrates beautifully."

The Baron glared down upon my mother and glowered disdainfully. She seemed at a loss for a moment, then resumed her place behind me. A lump formed in my throat, and I hastily swallowed it. My voice faltered when I began to read.

Vlad and Luiza squirmed beneath their father's scrutiny. Unperturbed, Vanda continued to draw. Nothing seemed to phase the youngest child. On and on, my voice droned. My enthusiasm for the story drained under the pressure the Baron inserted into the situation.

Realizing I became the object of his evaluation, I became nervous. My heart beat wildly, and I stumbled upon the text I recited. Finally, Mama leaned over my shoulder and closed the book gently.

"We will stop here and pick up again tomorrow," she announced, to my relief. "In the meantime, let's take up the geography lesson for the day."

Despite the change of topic, von Helfin remained in the door jamb until Mama finally dismissed the class. Hastily, I closed my book and, rushing headlong past the Baron, sprinted up the cellar staircase. I did not stop until I stood in the courtyard and breathed in the cool night air.

"Papa seemed interested in the PRISONER book," Luiza commented, appearing close beside me.

"Oh...oh yes," I responded absently. "The Baron did seem interested. I...I guess he put me on edge. I couldn't concentrate after he arrived."

"The same thing happens to me," my classmate confided. "He makes me nervous sometimes. Vlad too—although Vlad won't admit it."

"I...I expected Ranulf," I stammered hopelessly. "He said he wanted to hear the story. When the door opened, I thought he..."

"Papa sent my cousin away for a few days," Luiza stated dismissively. "He had a mission to fulfill and...well, he should return by the end of the week or maybe next week. I don't quite know."

The blood rushed from my face suddenly. A feeling of vulnerability enveloped me. Left without protection, I became immediately alarmed. My body swayed, and, for a moment, I thought I would faint.

"You look frightened," Luiza remarked, hooking her arm around my elbow. Slowly, she led me on a stroll around the decrepit garden. "There's nothing to fear. Papa won't harm you."

Although I did not believe her, Luiza's comment soothed me. I relaxed and bent my head closer to hers to share secrets. Over the months, the Baron's daughter and I grew closer. Our conversations improved her English; although she spoke with a heavy Romanian accent, I understood her perfectly.

From a distance, we might have appeared like average schoolgirls. We bent our heads close together and giggled occasionally. We talked about the latest Paris fashions, famous dance steps, and—our favorite subject—boys.