XXX

Snapshot memories of our return journey to England played in my jagged thoughts. Bucharest, Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Strasbourg, Paris. I pressed my cheek against the train carriage's window and watched the world cities pass with little enthusiasm. Curious onlookers gawked at me. My placid skin and worn expression created a reason for more than a passing glance. Ever diligent, Prentiss shielded me from their penetrating stares.

We left the Orient Express in Paris, spending several nights in the city of lights. A vague sense of excitement hovered in the back of my mind. In the distant past, the French capital enthralled Mama and me. The gaiety we encountered on the Champs Elysee boosted our spirits despite our tragedy. Papa lay in his grave, and we embarked on a new adventure. Often, late at night, we lay in bed conjecturing our arrival at von Helfin Castle. Mama delighted in the opportunistic employment by a Baron would create. I wondered about my future away from Grey Friars and Prentiss Wills.

I returned to reality a much different person. My horrific experiences left me emotionally drained. Nightmares terrorized my dreamscapes, and I awoke to frightful screaming echoing through my hotel room. Fearing I would wake the other guests, I cowered beneath my blankets until the curate pounded on my door.

"Are you all right?" Prentiss asked, poking his head into the room. When I nodded, he softly closed the door and returned to his bed chamber. I wished he would come in and comfort me. Nevertheless, he refused to cross my threshold. His staunch morals would not allow his entrance into a lady's sleeping quarters.

Finally, on a fresh spring day, we crossed the channel. I breathed deeply for the first time in ages, taking the clear air into my starving lungs. The stalwart white cliffs greeted us, and I became overwhelmed at my first sight of home soil. Unexpectedly, my emotions overflowed, and I collapsed against Prentiss. Firmly, he guided me into the nearest public house and ordered brandy. I sipped it and relaxed enough to smile weakly.

"Norah, I want to make sure you are properly taken care of," Prentiss announced, reaching across the table to grasp my hands. "You are very ill and require a long rest."

I sat back against the booth bench, considering his words. My hazy mind could not grapple with their significance. I continued to feel ill and uneasy in my mind. Slowly nodding, I left my well-being in the curate's capable hands.

"I will take you to Heavenly Rest," he decided confidently. "It's a sanctuary on the coast in Devon, near Torquay. You will receive nursing care and soak in the sea air. It will do you the world of good."

"I want to go home, Prentiss," I whispered, my lips barely forming the words. "Please take me home--to Gray Friars."

"I will, but not yet." Tenderly, he stroked my cheek and then cupped my chin. "I want you to become well again. I cannot marry you until you are strong enough."

My mind reeled as I contemplated the man who rescued me. Naturally, the curate expected to marry me. Mama and Papa both planned our nuptials. I should agree, yet something pulled against my heart. Ranulf remained front and center in my mind.

However, I willingly put myself in Prentiss Wills's capable hands. He escorted me by train to Torquay and assisted in my admittance to Heavenly Rest. Peacefully, I began my convalescence. Days and weeks passed, then the months started to slide away. Suddenly, I realized the year had slipped past. I mourned Mama and Papa in my heart, but as my strength returned, I moved away from the horrors I experienced at von Helfin castle.

On my release day from Heavenly Rest, I sat on the lawn facing Tor Bay. The calm blue water looked like a sheet of glass. I breathed deeply, soaking in the slight breeze. It rippled my hair, and I absently brushed the stray strands away as I gazed across the serene view.