XVIII

Helga rushed across the courtyard and plunked onto the bench Luiza had vacated moments earlier. I raised questioning eyebrows at my new companion. Since our aborted departure from the castle, I avoided the chambermaid. Inadvertently, she had told our secret to her grandmother, thus spoiling the planned escape. Madam Balan informed Baron von Helfin, causing him to appear at the last moment.

"What do you want?" I imperiously snapped. I rose, but Helga grasped my arm. I stared down upon her haughtily. "Release me!" I yanked my arm to free myself, but her grip tightened.

"I'm sorry," the girl muttered, lowering her haunted eyes. "I didn't mean to tell granny. It just came tumbling out."

"Apology not accepted," I coolly responded. Nevertheless, I regained my seat beside Helga. Folding my arms tightly across my chest, I allowed a 'humpf' to escape my lips.

The sun peeked over the horizon in the east, chasing away the moon's shadows. The dismal courtyard brightened slightly. Behind us, the castle loomed darkly upon its precipice. The yellow sun could not chase away our gloomy surroundings.

Back to back, Helga and I crouched on the stone bench. Harboring our own thoughts, we waited for the other to speak. Silence prevailed between us as dawn took its grip on the new day.

"Norah," Helga's hollow voice finally broke the stillness surrounding us.

"I'm not speaking to you," I stated tersely.

"But..."

I did not respond. Instead, I stood and aimlessly wandered toward the high iron gate. The long, windy road remained empty. Its barrenness exclaimed the stark isolation of the castle and its inhabitants. My mind raged against fate as I clutched the railing in desperation. Mama and I had walked into a trap that held no escape.

"I wanted to go to England with you," the chambermaid began again. Her sudden appearance at my side startled me from my dark thoughts. "Next time..."

"Next time will never arrive," I responded in clipped tones. "You ruined it, Helga, simply ruined it. Mama decided to leave this hellhole. Now we're stuck here—probably forever. England is a fantasy, a fairy tale, a forbidden myth."

Briskly, I pivoted and stormed toward the castle. I wished to put a long distance between the betrayer of my plans and me. Holding my head high, I swooped past Helga and grasped the door handle. She rushed behind me and inserted herself before the castle entrance.

"Ranulf doesn't love you," the maid demurely stated. "He will use you just like the Baron uses your mother."

Her sudden exclamation froze me on the spot. My mind whirled as I considered my budding relationship with von Helfin's ward. At first, I had remained wary of Ranulf Zamphir. However, as time passed, I realized he had my best interest at heart. Several times, he had inserted himself between the Baron and me, thus alleviating a distressing situation. I grew fond of him.

Helga stood before me, clasping her hands behind her back. Smirking, she rocked back and forth on her heels. Grasping her shoulders, I tried to force her away from the door. Nevertheless, she held her ground. I stared at her incredulously.

"What do you know about it?" I demanded in exasperation.

"You are not the first nor the last," Helga coyly announced.

"First or last what?" Anger filled my sharp inquiry. I grew furious with each passing moment.

"Viccccctimmmm." The eerie elongated response echoed throughout the lonely courtyard. Helga stood on tiptoes and, lifting her arms above her head, shook her fingers wildly.