XXXII

The crunch of footsteps approaching the church alerted us. The oaken door cracked open, and we stared at the shadow figure framed in the aperture. In our first thrills of love, we had waited too long. Prentiss would discover Ranulf and me wrapped in our tender embrace in moments. Frantically, I grabbed my companion's icy hand and rushed toward the side door. Our footfalls echoed loudly against the flagstone floor.

"Hello?" my fiancé called, his voice raised in question.

The door slammed behind us, and we stood at the graveyard's edge. Deftly, I wove around the tombstones I had known all my life. I halted behind the one belonging to Patience Mowbray and her stillborn baby boy. Ranulf squatted beside me, panting for breath.

"The sunlight..." my lover gasped, shielding his eyes quickly.

The morning sun hung low on the horizon, casting a bright welcome to the day. All my life, I delighted in the dawn, often waking early to watch it make its first appearance. I longed to share the moment with my lover. However, I realized he had not encountered daylight in many years.

"Oh, Ranulf," I mourned, tears welling against my eyelids.

"Blind," he muttered, tightly holding his palms against his eyes. "I'm blind."

Bewildered, I sunk into the ground behind the gravestone. We had to leave instantly. At any second, Prentiss could appear. He may have devoted himself to his prayers or followed us into the cemetery. Anxiously, I glanced toward the church, willing him to stay inside. Our escape depended upon it.

"Give me a few moments, Norah," Ranulf whispered reassuringly. His slim fingers parted slightly, allowing a little sunlight to penetrate. "I must adjust to the light."

I gnawed on my bottom lip apprehensively. Time stood still. My companion removed his hands from his face and squinted uncomfortably. Tears streamed from his irritated, bloodshot eyes. I caressed his arm in an attempt to reassure him. Finally, he blinked and smiled at me affectionately.

"The first train to London leaves at twenty past six," I announced impatiently. "We must make that train, Ranulf. We must hurry." I threw a hasty look over my shoulder, expecting Prentiss's appearance.

Squatting, we dodged behind the tombstones until we reached a copse of trees behind the churchyard. Grabbing hands, we rushed into the small forest. Ranulf swatted at low overhanging branches, clearing a path for me to follow. Breaking free, we sprinted onto the main road. The George Inn stood at the crossroads, the last building before the station. I glanced furtively over my shoulder and pulled my companion toward our destination.

The London train chugged, and steam billowed from its stack. We barely had time to purchase tickets before it departed. Hurrying toward the purchase window, I fumbled in my purse for the fare. Slamming the coins on the counter, I demanded the tickets.

"You're cutting it a bit short, Miss Norah," Sam Wheaton, the station master, quipped. He lackadaisically counted out the farthings and shillings I pushed toward him.

"Please, Sam, can't you count a bit quicker," I insisted impatiently.

"Well..." The elderly attendant began, ogling me over his half glasses. "Say, aren't you marrying the curate today, Miss Norah?"

Aghast, I stared at Sam Wheaton. Outside, the train chuffed again, and the pistons began to turn. Tears of fury sprang to my eyes.

"Surely you can see the lady is in a hurry," Ranulf cut in, inserting himself between me and the ticket master. "We cannot miss this train."

The sudden authority in my companion's voice startled Sam Wheaton. He cupped my coins in his shaky palm and dispatched the tickets quickly. The Baron's ward took my arm, and we scurried toward the departing train. It began to move as we rushed along the aisle, searching for an empty compartment. Finally, Ranulf swung open a door, and with a sudden lurch, we tumbled in.