XI

A specter hovered over my bed when I awoke on a crisp December morning. The waxen face and deeply sunken eyes wavered in the dimly lit room. Ogling it in terror, I sat up and clutched the blanket.

"Norah," the apparition spoke.

I squinted at it until I recognized Mama. Grasping her icy hands, I pulled her onto the mattress. Tenderly, I brushed aside her straggly grey hair. It hung limply across her gauzy nightdress. She swayed and collapsed, her eyes staring blankly at the ceiling.

"Mama," I breathed, astonished.

The minutes swept passed agonizingly. Frantically, I patted her cheeks, hoping to revive her. Finally, I poured a glass of water from the ewer and dumped it on her forehead. Mama abruptly sat up, blinking at her surroundings.

"You're ill," I stated when she focused on me.

More than a month had passed since I last saw her. The dramatic changes in her appearance set me back. She looked close to death.

"Neculai has taken the children away," she muttered, her voice barely above a whisper. "He claims I require rejuvenation. I must rest while they are gone and build my strength."

"But...where have they gone?" I questioned. My voice rose in sudden expectation.

News of the Baron's departure enlightened me. I could convince my parent to leave the hellish castle environment if I could overwhelm von Helfin's iron grip. Despite Mama's blighted countenance, I became filled with joy.

"Hunting," she stated flatly.

"Hunting!" I exclaimed in astonishment. "The little girls too?"

Traditionally, men took their sons hunting when the boys reached certain ages. I could easily imagine the Baron planning such a trip for young Vlad. Perhaps Ranulf accompanied them, but he undoubtedly left Luiza and Vanda behind.

"Well, certainly," Mama responded, rolling her shoulders. "The Baron is eager for fresh bloo...." Mama hesitated a moment, stumbling over the last word. "Fresh meat," she corrected after a momentary hesitation.

"Oh." My mouth formed the word; however, I did not make a sound. Indeed, she began to say 'blood' instead of 'meat'—an odd choice.

Edging closer, I placed my arm tenderly across her shoulder. Mama leaned onto my side and brushed away a tear. She sobbed lightly. I gently kissed her on the forehead and buried my face into her matted gray hair.

The door cracked open, and Helga backed in carrying the breakfast tray. Hastily, I waved her away. Nodding briskly, she departed silently.

"Mama?" I whispered. "If you are ill, perhaps we should call the village doctor."

"No!" my mother exclaimed heatedly. Then, she calmed immediately. "Oh, no, that's not necessary."

"But, Mama!"

"There are no 'buts,' Norah," my parent remonstrated. "Neculai decided I require a rest. He took his children hunting. That's an end to it."

I scanned Mama's face, searching for the old sparkle in her eyes. She looked at me vaguely as though from miles and miles away. Sitting on the edge of the bed, she finally grasped my hands. For a moment, I noticed the old gleam in her eyes and her excited uplifting voice. Despite her haggard appearance, she brightened. Then, the quick flash of color faded from her cheeks.

"Let's go home to England," I announced ecstatically. "Let's leave this gloom and doom castle. I long for the green fields of home, the narrow lanes, and the old churchyard. Let's arrive in time to bring in the Yule log and hang the mistletoe."