Two for Two

Hermione had been petrified.

Upon hearing the news, Elizabeth believed the rumors being spread were a joke. A sick, cruel joke. Until Ron and Harry approached her the day after the rumors started that they confirmed it.

Elizabeth was heartbroken.

The two boys explained how Professor McGonagall approached them the previous day and took them directly to the Hospital Wing. Hermione was found in the library with a mirror in her hand. It made no sense to the girl. How Hermione put herself into such a situation made Elizabeth want to explode at her brother and Harry. What were they thinking, letting Hermione go anywhere in the castle by herself?

She'd been so distraught, Elizabeth raced back to her common room, planted herself in front of the fireplace, brought her knees to her chest, and cried. Sweet Anthony Goldstein shared his chocolate frog with her when he stumbled into the common room roughly an hour later.

The only shining light was Hermione was only petrified, and the potion was almost ready to unpetrify those poor unfortunate students lying in the Hospital Wing. The second year at Hogwarts was turning out to be the worst one yet. Especially when the news broke that Ginny was taken into the Chamber of Secrets.

Thank Merlin, Harry and Ron were there to save the day.

After Ginny was rescued from underneath the castle, the potion for the petrified students was ready to be distributed. It had been a long, long time since Elizabeth had been so emotional. She just so happened to be heading back to the common room when she passed by the Hospital Wing when it happened. One-by-one, Colin Creevey, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Penelope Clearwater, and Hermione left the room to their own group of friends, patiently waiting with tears of joy in their eyes. Elizabeth included.

"I'm so happy you're all right," the girl gushed, enveloping Hermione into the tightest hug she could muster. "It's been hell without you."

"I can only imagine," Hermione laughed, hugging her friend back in return. "I'm so glad the boys figured it out. Any longer and who knows what would have happened."

"And we will never have to worry about it," Elizabeth smiled. "Dumbledore already announced a special feast for you all. It's going to be extra extravagant."

"How's that possible?" Hermione asked.

"I have no idea," Elizabeth answered, shaking her head. "But I wanted to let you know. Harry and Ron went back to your common room to change. The last time I saw them, they were still covered in whatever they got into in the Chamber. It was vile. I'll see you at the feast."

"Sounds good," Hermione hugged Elizabeth one more time before heading in the direction of the Gryffindor tower.

Elizabeth watched her friend practically skipping down the hallway in the direction of the Great Hall. The girl couldn't keep the smile off her face. Everything managed to work out again this year. She watched the other unpetrified students reunite with their friends before making their own way to the Great Hall as well. Maybe things were finally looking up, and Hogwarts was going to be normal for a change.

"Should have known you would be here," Elizabeth automatically crossed her arms over her chest.

"What do you want, Draco?"

"That's not a very nice greeting," the blond came up beside her, watching the last of the students leave the Hospital Wing until they were the last two remaining.

"I'm still mad at you," she retorted. Still impressed he'd waited this long to approach her after their last confrontation.

"Come on, Weasley," Draco sighed. "This grudge has gone on long enough, and I know you've never held one this long in your life before."