Kindness and Questions

Éowyn and Alana were walking quietly through the halls of the palace. They stayed as silent as they could to avoid watchful eyes of servants just waiting to catch them and turn them over to Wormtongue.

"Stablehand?" Éowyn asked quietly.

"Yes, Lady Éowyn?" Alana answered.

"Why are you helping me?" Éowyn questioned, sounding genuinely curious.

"I believe it is the right thing to do," Alana replied truthfully.

"Yes, but there must be more to it than just that," Éowyn wispered. "You are risking your very life by doing this. It is unwise to make Wormtongue angry, especially in your position. He would have you killed."

"That is not much, really," Alana answered grimly.

"Whatever do you mean?" Éowyn asked, shocked.

"I only have two things left in this world, Lady Éowyn," Alana admitted, "my sister, Alena, and hope that things will get better here in Rohan."

"I am truly sorry," Éowyn said sadly. "I did not know."

"Do not be sorry, my Lady," Alana said. "It was not your fault."

Éowyn looked curiously at the young girl. She couldn't be more than fourteen years of age, yet she spokewith wisdom far beyond her years. "Then whom, may I ask, do you place fault upon?" she asked.

Alana looked away, not wanting to think about such things. After a long pause I'm their speech, the pair reached a sturdy oak door. "The prince is in here, my Lady," she said quietly.

"Oh, yes. Um, thank you, Stablehand," Éowyn replied.

"I-if you do not mind," Alana began, "my name is Alana."

"Of course," Éowyn smiled, glad her questions had not ruined the beginning of their freindship.

"Thank you, my Lady," Alana said in parting.

"No," Éowyn corrected, "thank you, Alana."

...

Wormtongue came into the stables angrilly. "Stablehand," he said dangerously.

"Yes, Master Wormtongue?" asked Alana, fear written across her face and buried in her eyes.

"Have you seen the Lady Éowyn?" he asked.

"No, sir, I have not," Alana answered steadily. She could not let him learn that she had helped Éowyn find the prince.

"Are you sure?" Wormtongue questioned, walking closer to the girl, towering over her. "If I learn you have lied to me, there will be punishment, girl," he threatened.

"I am sure, Master Wormtongue," Alana confirmed.

"Very well, then," Wormtongue comceded. "Has Éomer taken his leave?"

"Yes, Master Wormtongue," Alana answered. "A little more than two hours ago, I'd say."

"Good," Wormtongue praised. "Also, if at any time you see an old man in gray robes with a staff and long beard, prepare my horse."

Alana was very confused at this statement, but nodded her head, saying, "Yes, Master Wormtongue."

"For now, though, you are relieved of your duties for the night," Wormtongue said.

"Thank you, Master Wormtongue," Alana answered, but she stayed standing where she was. She had made this mistake before, and still had the scar on her arm to prove it. She did not intend to make that mistake a second time.

"Well," Wormtongue questioned. "Why are you not leaving?"

"You are of higher rank, sir," Alana explained. "Do you give me permission to leave the room?"

"Good,  you remember your place," Wormtongue said approvingly. "Yes, you may go. Send in Able."

Alana bowed her head respectfully and left the stables quickly. After telling Able that he was wanted in the stables. Able was the head of the stables. He was a strict leader, but was respected by all of the servents. He and Alana were the only two who worked in the stables. He had originally given her the job out of pity, but now he was glad to have her around to help.

...

It was almost two weeks later before Éowyn entered the stables again, for Wormtongue had forbidden her to go riding, too afraid that she would never come back. The shield maiden looked very depressed, and Alana could tell she had been crying.

"Stablehand- I mean Alana," Lady Éowyn said, coming to where the girl stiod, brushing the mane of a dark crimson horse.

"Yes, Lady Éowyn?" Alana asked.

"Wait a moment," Éowyn said,  noticing dark marks on the younger girl's arm and one under her right eye. "Where did those bruises come from?"

"Oh, um, Master Wormtongue was angry with me earlier," Alana explained nervously. "It was an accident, I promise-"

"Say no more," Éowyn shushed her, placing a delicate hand on her shoulder. "I heard. Wormtongue is the foolish one. Do not worry."

Alana nodded, grateful for the Lady's understanding. "What do you wish to do, my Lady?" she asked. "I'm sure you know I am not permitted to allow you to ride."

"I came to tell you about Prince Thèodred. He passed on last night," Éowyn replied mournfully.

"My Lady, I am so sorry," Alana wispered, stopping in her work immediately. "Does Master Éomer know of this?"

" 'Twas not your fault. I just thought you should know," Éowyn answered. "And no, my brother does not know. I am afraid he is long gone by now."

"Is there anything I can do?" Alana asked, wanting to help the grieving shield maiden.

"I am afraid not," Éowyn answered. "I should go. Wormtongue suspects that I am avoiding him, though I guess I am."

"If you are looking to avoid Master Wormtongue, you can always stay out here, my Lady. He really is not here all that often," Alana suggested.

"Won't he be angry with you?" Éowyn asked worriedly.

"Not as angry as I would be with myself for letting you go somewhere you do not want to be without at least giving an alternative," the girl answered.

"Thank you, Alana," Éowyn replied gratefully.

"It's my pleasure, Lady Éowyn," Alana said.