The Road to the Deep

They had been riding for a few days. Legolas had left Gimli to ride alone on a different horse, being led by Lady Éowyn. The elf claimed that he wanted to walk for a while. Gimli and Éowyn were talking and Aragorn and the twins rode side by side behind them. Gimli was in the middle of telling Éowyn about how male and female dwarves looked so similar that many people believed there were no female dwarves.

Éowyn looked back at Aragorn who used his hands to mimic stroking a beard and wispered, "It's the beards."

Alana and Alena burst into laughter and Gimli's horse took off, sending the dwarf to the ground.

"That was intentional!" Gimli claimed loudly. "Completely intentional!"

The twins only laughed more and Aragorn grinned. Soon, however, their laughter ceased as Legolas ran ahead of the people of Rohan. They were concerned for their friend, but even more concerned about what he had seen to make him run off. Sir Hama and another guard rode ahead to try and see what Legolas had seen. The crowd looked on in shock as Sir Hama was attacked by a warg rider. Legolas killed the orc and the warg, but saw many more wargs and riders coming towards the people.

Soon, the women and children were being rushed to continue on to Helm's Deep and the men staying behind to fight off the wargs. Alana made her way to follow the other women and children when suddenly a warg jumped in front of Myra. Scared, the horse reared back, dumping Alena and Alana on the ground. Myra stamped her feet as the warg walked closer, it's orc rider eying the girls behind the mare maliciously. Alana and Alena were frozen with fear. Then, without warning, the warg stiffened ad collapsed, revealing Aragorn, who quickly killed the orc. He pulled the girls to their feet and put them safely back on their horse.

"Go," Aragorn commanded. "Get to safety. We will join you when we are done here."

The girls nodded, saying a quick 'thank you' before riding off after the other women and children. They helped Lady Éowyn keep the people together and going as fast as they could. When the finally reached Helm's Deep, they ushered everyone inside. The people immediately began to set up the homes and try to return to life as normal. They kept themselves busy so as not to worry about their fathers, brothers, and husbands. Alena followed the other servants in the kitchens while Alana made her way to the stables with Myra.

Alana was still taking care of the horses they still had when what was left of the men returned. She ran out, eager to see both her friends and Master Able. She rushed up to Legolas, the first face she really recognized.

"Master Legolas!" she cried, running to embrace him. He gently wrapped his arms around her shoulders. "What is wrong?" Alana asked, noticing the elf's grim expression.

"I am afraid that Aragorn did not make it back with us," Legolas explained. "He fell during the battle."

"I am very sorry," Alana said. She felt her eyes water.

Legolas did not answer. Instead, he placed his hand on the girl's shoulder before walking away.

"Miss Alana?" asked an unfamiliar voice.

"Yes?" Alana asked, turning to face a castle guard, becoming confused.

"Miss, your master, Able," the guard began, not knowing how to tell the girl. "Well, he was killled during the battle. I believe he would have wanted you to have this." The guard handed her a small silver dragon brooch that she had seen many times before. It was common legend in Rohan that horses were descended from the dragons of old. Able always kept the brooch on his saddle.

A tear ran down Alana's cheek as she took the brooch and pinned it on her left shoulder. "I will treasure it," she said, bowing her head ever so slightly. The guard nodded and walked away.

Alana returned to the stables. She needed to take care if the horses that had survived, but she couldn't quite shake the feeling that Aragorn was out there still. Legolas said he had fallen. She knew the ravine they were by at the battle had water at the bottom. He may yet be alive, then. She walked quickly to the end of the stables and place a worn leather saddle on Brégo, a loyal mare who had belonged to Prince Thèodred. She put what little food and water she had in a satchel and attached it to the saddle.

"Go, my loyal friend," Alana wispered to the horse. "Find the ranger, Aragorn, and return him to us."

Before she said another word, the horse had galloped away at top speed. She watched the skillful horse manouver through the crowds of people with ease, and did not look away until the mare had left her sight outside the walls of the Deep.