Strange Visitors

Only a day or two after the death of Prince Thèodred came to the ears of young Alana did she see a strange old man with long grey robes and a long beard. She quickly remembered Wormtongue's orders. Were she to see such a man, she would prepare Grima's horse.

Maybe half an hour later, she saw the old man coming back down the path. He came into the stables and saw her immediately.

"Child?" the man called.

"Yes, Mister-?" Alana answered, not knowing the man's name.

Catching on, the man said, "My name is Gandalf the Grey. And you are?"

"Alana, sir, but many call me Stablehand," Alana replied respectfully.

"Well, which do you prefer?" Gandalf questioned.

Surprised, the girl said, "Alana, if that is alright, sir."

"It is quite alright, child," Gandalf assured her. "Now, King Thèoden bid me to choose any horse so that I may ride fast."

"Of course, Master Gandalf," Alana answered. She quickly showed him that they had many horses and allowed him to look in the large field behind the stables, where the horses roamed free.

"Alana, what is the name of that one," Gandalf asked, pointing.

"The solid white one?" Alana asked. At his nod, she continued, "That is Shadowfax, Lord of all Horses. I warn, he has yet to allow a single man to ride upon his back."

"I believe I shall choose him," Gandalf said.

Alana did not respond, not knowing what to say, and instead brought the majestic beast into the stables.

"Ride fast, Master Gandalf," Alana said when it was time for the old wizard to leave.

"Thank you," he answered kindly. "I shall hope to see you again, Alana."

"I will await your return," Alana replied.

"If all goes well, I will be back soon, with my companions," Gandalf said. With those final words, he parted, riding off at a gallop.

Soon after Gandalf had left, Wormtongue burst into the stables. "Put away my horse," he comanded. He went to look out over the field and immediately asked, "Where is Shadowfax?"

"Master Gandalf took him, sir," Alana answered.

Wormtongue immediately turned on the girl. "What? You idiotic peasant!" he yelled at her. Alana cried out in pain as his fist made contact with her jaw.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I didn't know!" Alana apologized quickly.

"What did he tell you?" Wormtongue growled, grabbing her shoulder and digging his nails into her skin.

"Th-that King Thèoden told him to choose any horse so that he may ride fast," Alana answered truthfully, tears filling her eyes.

"You foolish girl. The king will be most displeased," Wormtongue replied.

"Yes Master Wormtongue. I am very sorry," Alana answered.

Wormtongue suddenly smirked at her, the very action sending chills down her spine. "The king will wish for you to be punished. Why don't we get that part over with now?" he suggested. Alana wimpered under the cruel man's gaze, knowing what was about to happen.

...

Able saw Wormtongue rush into the stables, face red with anger. He knew that Alana was in the stables, but thought it best not to go in until he had left. He soon saw the man leave the stables, a smug look upon his face. Guessing what had happened, he ran towards the stables to find Alana laying on the ground with her arms protectively over her head.

"Are you alright," Able asked, kneeling down beside the frightened girl.

Alana looked up worriedly at her leader. "I will be," she answered quietly.

Able helped the girl to stand. Her ankle was sprained and she would soon have many more bruises, but she would be fine otherwise.