Companions

Nearly a fortnight had passed before Wormtongue set foot into the stables again. "Stablehand!" he called, not seeing the girl.

"Yes, Master Wormtongue," she answered immediately, afraid to upset him.

He led her just outside the door. "Three riders in the distance. Do you see them?" Wormtongue questioned, pointing to the three riders on horseback.

"Yes, Master Wormtongue, I do," Alana answered, confused.

"Ride out and meet them," he ordered. "Do you have a horse?"

"Yes, Master Wormtongue. I have my father's mare, Myra," she replied.

"Then go," Wormtongue comanded. "And be quick about it. They ride fast."

"What if they attack me?" Alana asked fearfully.

"Then let them," Wormtongue growled in annoyance. "You are only a stable hand. There are plenty who could take your place."

Alana ran back inside the stables, quickly explaining to Able where she was going. She jumped on her horse bareback and galloped out of the stables and in the direction of the riders. They were still a long ways off, but she already recognized the bright white coat of Shadowfax.

...

Gandalf and his companions had brought their horses to a halt, seeing the beautiful, firey coat of a chestnut mare and her rider galloping towards them.

"Legolas, lower your bow," Gandalf comanded the Elven Prince of Mirkwood. "I know who rides toward us. She is no danger."

"She? I have seen so female with such short hair," Legolas commented, putting away his weapon. "But if you trust her, so shall I."

"Who is the lass, then?" asked Gimli, the Dwarf son of Gloin, from where he sat behind Legolas.

"A stable hand. Alana is her name," Gandalf explained.

"They send a stable girl to meet riders they do not recognize?" questioned the ranger with them, Aragorn.

"Surely she can handle herself, then," put in Legolas, though he sounded unsure.

"I wish I knew," Gandalf said. "She is but a child."

"Do they welcome her death, then?" questioned an outraged Gimli.

"I do not doubt that is Wormtongue's wish. I told you he was treacherous," Gandalf replied.

"We must hope she has evaded his wrath thus far," Aragorn sighed, concerned for the girl riding towards them.

"I do not think she has been so lucky," Gandalf lamented. "She had many bruises last I saw her."

"Wormtongue is surely a foul creature," Legolas spat. "To harm an innocent child, it is cruel."

"Shh," Gandalf hushed his companions, seeing the girl almost upon them. "She may be frightened yet. She does not know you."

...

"Master Gandalf, you return," Alana said happily as she brought Myra to a stop beside the old wizard and his companions. Shadowfax nuzzled her arm and she laughed lightly, saying, "Hello, again, old friend," to the white horse.

"Yes, it is I, young one," Gandalf said.

Alana looked towards Legolas and Aragorn. "Hasufel and Arod," she said, calling their horses by their names, "how is it that you now ride them?"

"Their original riders fell in battle," Aragorn answered, noticing the protectivness she had for the horses. "They were given to us by Lord Éomer."

Alana nodded, accepting his answer. "They are fine horses. I trust that you will treat them well," she replied, waiting for their nods before turning back to Gandalf.

"I hope you are well?" Gandalf replied, smiling at her.

"Under the circumstances, yes. And you?" Alana answered.

"I am well, but what circumstances do you speak of, child?" Gandalf questioned.

"Well," Alana began, "Master Wormtongue was not pleased with the horse you chose."

"I see," Gandalf said. He had expected as much. "I hope you did not suffer much for it?"

"No," Alana answered truthfully. "I still have my job, and my sister was unharmed."

"Yes, but what about you? Were you injured?" Gandalf rephrased.

"Not too bad. A twisted ankle and a few fresh bruises. I've had worse," Alana replied, and the group knew she was telling the truth, for they could see the bruises and scars on her arms, and a couple even on her face.

"That's it!" yelled an angry Gimli, raising his axe. "I'll kill him! I'll kill that foul man!"

Alana gasped and pulled her horse back at the Dwarf's sudden outburst. Sensing her master's fear, the chestnut mare stamped her hooves and seemed to glare at the company.

"Gimli! Put down your axe!" Aragorn ordered immediately.

"Are you alright, Alana?" Gandalf asked gently. When she looked back at the wizard and nodded, Gimli looked over Legolas' shoulder.

"I'm sorry, lassie," the Dwarf apologized, his face a bit red.

"Right, well, we need to ride on," Gandalf continued. "Come, child, ride beside me."

As the company rode on towards Edoras, Legolas could be heard quietly scolding Gimli. "You shouldn't have scared her," he wispered.

"I said I was sorry," Gimli answered, making Aragorn smirk at their childish banter.