Healing Begins

"She is awake," Legolas stated, seeing Alana's eyes flutter open.

"What?" she questioned, "Where am I?"

"In the Houses if Healing," answered an older, yet strong voice.

"King Thèoden!" she exclaimed in surprise, trying to get up to kneel before her king and master.

"Calm down, you need to rest," Aragorn ordered, gently pushing her back down.

When she tried to protest, Thèoden replied, "You are injured, child. Nothing will be held against you."

"Thank you, King Thèoden," Alana answered, lowering her head slightly out of respect.

"There is someone else who wishes to see you," Gandalf said, glancing at the girl who had just entered the vicinity.

Alana looked up and to the girl, who looked almost exactly like her, except with longer hair and darker eyes. "Alena," she called, smiling.

Alena rushed over to her sister's side as Aragorn moved to allow her past him. She hugged Alana, saying, "I was so worried about you!"

"Don't be. I'm fine," Alana replied. "Besides, what happened to your hands? You're burned!"

"I work in the kitchens, Alana. It happens. But you were stabbed! That's not fine," Alena answered stubbornly.

"There's no winning with you, is there?" Alana joked.

"You would know better than anyone," Alena said, smirking ever so slightly.

"It is clear we witness a strong bond between the two of you," King Thèoden commented.

"We are twins, sir," Alena replied, blushing. She had forgotten already that they were surrounded by others.

"Truly, I would never doubt it," Thèoden said, nodding.

Shortly after, Éowyn came in and changed Alana's bandages. When she was done, Alana was free to go, but was told she and her sister would be attending the nights festivities as guests, rather than as servants.

...

"Good evening, Master Gimli," Alana said when she saw the dwarf.

"And to you, Miss Alana," Gimli answered. Then he added, "You are Alana, correct?"

"Yes, Master Gimli," Alana smiled. "If ever you are not sure, remember that my hair is much shorter than my sister's. Does that help?"

"Yes, yes, very much so," Gimli replied. "But tell me, are you really the young lass who rode out to meet us?"

Alana laughed lightly. "Yes, Master Gimli, I am indeed."

...

"Would you like to dance?" Legolas asked from behind Alana, seeing her watching the couples waltzing.

Alana jumped, startled, and turned to face the Elf. "I'm afraid I don't know how," Alana admitted nervously.

"Just follow me. I will teach you," Legolas decided, leading the girl into the midst of the dancers. Alana followed obediantly, quickly catching on to the patterned steps.

"We are almost to far apart in height for this dance," Legolas chuckled.

"You are very tall," Alana commented truthfully. "Only natural for an Elf."

"Yes," Legolas agreed, smiling, "but you, too, are still small in youth."

"I supose," Alana replied, knowing that her and her sister were shorter than the average thirteen year old.

The two continued their dance until Alana's steps suddenly faltered. Legolas looked at her in concern as her eyes filled with fear and pain.

"Are you alright, Alana?" he asked gently.

"That candle is too close to the banister," Alana said quietly. "It will catch at any moment..." she trailed off.

"I asure you that any fire would be put out immediately," Legolas answered. But Alana did not seem to hear him. She began to back away slowly, then turned around and ran out of the Great Hall.

"What happened?" Aragorn asked, coming up beside Legolas, who stood in shock.

"She noticed a banister about to catch fire," Legolas explained. "It frightened her, but why I do not know."

Aragorn nodded to the Elf and decided to go after the young girl. According to what she had told Gandalf when she met them, her sister was all the family she had left. Or at least, all the family she cared about.