A Worm Takes His Leave

When the Grey Company and Alana had reached the stables and dismounted, Able came out to greet them, worried for the young stable hand.

"Alana," he called. "Take their horses and return to your duties."

"Yes, Master Able," Alana answered obediently.

"Do you need any help?" Aragorn offered polietly, stopping her. "Four horses is a lot for one girl."

"Thank you, sir, but I can manage," Alana answered.

"Please, my name is Aragorn," the ranger said, finally introducing himself. "The Dwarf is Gimli, and the Elf is Legolas."

"It is a pleasure to meet you three," Alana said respectfully.

"Alana, hurry up before Wormtongue returns," Able warned, his sterness masking his wish to keep the girl safe from the foul man.

"Where is Wormtongue?" questioned Gandalf, interupting Able's attempts to rush the girl back into the stables.

"With the king, of course," Able answered, wary of the wizard.

"I must go," Alana said quietly, looking up at Legolas and Aragorn.

"Do not worry," Legolas answered, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "We will take care of Wormtongue."

Alana nodded. "Thank you," she wispered, her eyes becoming a little watery.

"Alana, go!" Able ordered sternly. "It is impolite to keep guests waiting."

"Nay, she is fine," Aragorn defended. "She was just going."

"Be careful, lassie," Gimli said. It was his small way of warning that Wormtongue would probably pass through the stables if he made it out of the palace.

"Of course, Master Gimli," Alana replied before taking the horses' reins and leading them into the stables.

...

Alana had almost finished preparing Wormtongue's horse when his dark figure ran into the stables. Able had already gone home for the day.

"Master Wormtongue, I-" Alana never got to finish her sentence as Wormtongue's fist colided with her temple, sending her to the ground, where she failed to catch herself before her head hit the hard packed dirt floor.

"Master Wormtongue?" Alana questioned shakily. "What is wrong?"

"What's wrong?" Wormtongue repeated angrilly. "The fact that I haven't killed you yet!"

Alana tried to pick herself up from the ground, fighting away the spots that appeared in her vision. Wormtongue grabbed her shoulder and slammed her back against the wall of one of the stables, holding her up so only her toes touched the ground. The horses winnied and stamped their feet. Alana didn't know what had made Wormtongue so angry, but did not care anymore. She needed help before he did something drastic.

"Help!" she cried. "Someone, please!"

"Do you really think anyone will come to your rescue?" Wormtongue smirked, stabbing a sharp knife into her stomach. She screamed loudly.

"Get away from her!" yelled Aragorn, who had just run in, after hearing Alana's cries for help.

So, someone does care about you," Wormtongue commented, pulling out the knife and resheathing it. "How... unexpected," he continued, running two fingers down her face and across her jawline. He then turned to face Aragorn, who glowered at him. Alana slid down to her knees on the floor, shaking.

"I will give you one minute to take your horse and go," Aragorn said, his voice low. "Do not make me regret this mercy."

Without another word, Grima Wormtongue mounted his horse, leaving the stables at a gallop. Aragorn ran over to Alana and knelt beside her.

"Are you alright?" Aragorn asked gently.

"M-my stomach," Alana stuttered painfully, losing blood fast. "He s-stabbed my stomach."

"Ok, just hold on," Aragorn wispered, scooping up the small girl in his arms.

"You're kinda blurry," she said after a few moments of Aragorn carrying her. He looked over to see her closing her eyes, seeming to fall asleep.

"Just stay awake," he comanded, quickening his pace. "Keep your eyes open."

"It hurts," Alana complained, tears staining her cheeks.

"I know," Aragorn said. "Just don't close your eyes." Alana nodded, but seemed unable to hold her eyelids open any longer. "Alana," Aragorn wispered, trying to wake her up again. "Alana, can you hear me? You need to stay awake."

But his voice was fading in Alana's mind...