Leaving Edoras

"Aragorn, did you learn what was wrong?" Legolas asked the ranger quietly. The elf, man, and dwarf sat together in the king's hall. Gandalf and Thèoden were having a quiet conversation that they could not hear anyway, though they had a feeling they knew what it was about.

"Yes," Aragorn answered sadly. "It was the fault of Wormtongue."

"What did he do to the poor child?" Gandalf questioned suddenly. The three now realized that the wizard and the king and tuned in to their own conversation.

"Four years ago, he had her house burned in the night," Aragorn told them. "He had falsely accused her father of treason. Alana and her older brother escaped, but Grima later tortured and killed him for speaking in his father's defence.

"That is terrible, indeed," Gandalf replied grimly, and the others silently agreed.

"What about Alena? Was she not there that night?" Legolas asked.

"No, she was staying with a friend," the ranger said. "Alana, however, was burned and left crippled."

"Her left leg," Legolas stated sadly. "She has a limp, but she tries vainly to hide it."

"Yes," Gandalf agreed. "I too, have noticed this. The poor child. She and her her sister lost everything that night."

"How did she escape?" Gimli chimed in. "She would have been quite young."

"Her brother helped her," Aragorn answered. "I believe she blames herself for his death. She was there when he was killled. Hidden."

"Where is she now?" Legolas asked, still concerned for her well-being.

"With her sister," the ranger said quietly.

King Thèoden never spoke up, secretly grieving for the young girls' losses. He could not help but think that if he had not been brainwashed by Wormtongue, that their father and brother would still be alive, and their house still standing.

...

The next mornung, Alana still was not quite herself. Alena wanted to help her sister.

"Alana, it will be alright," Alena said quietly, holding her sister close. They were the only two in the servants' quarters. Lonnie, head of the kitchens, had ushered everyone else out so they could talk.

"No," Alana said. "Sometimes I can still hear the creaking of the walls, Alena. I can still see the flames. I have nightmares nearly eery night."

"One day the memories will fade," Alena comforted.

"But the pain and the scars will not," Alana replied sadly. "Alena, I was there, I witnessed Micah's death. I don't think that pain will ever go away."

"Are we safe?" Alena asked suddenly.

"Yes," Alana answered, a bit confused by her sister's question. "Now that Grima Wormtongue has left Rohan, we are safer than I can truly recall."

"Then Micah did not die in vain," Alena said. "He wanted to protect us, and he did. Yes, Wormtongue hurt us still, you most of all, but I get this feeling that were Micah still alive, things would be worse."

"I know what you mean," Alana admitted. "Wormtongue would have been even angrier, I have no doubt."

"And you know Micah could never stand to see that horrid man hurt either of us," Alena replied. "It broke my heart to see you come in from work, covered in bruises and cuts. Imagine how he would have felt."

"You are right," Alana said.

"Of course I am," Alena answered. "I am older."

"Yes," Alana replied. "Older by a mere few minutes."

The two hugged tightly, but pulled apart when the door to the servants' quarters were opened.

"We are leaving soon for Helm's Deep," said a flushed Éowyn. "Pack everything you will need and prepare your horse. And Alana, the men may need help readying their own horses."

"Yes, Lady Éowyn," Alana answered obediently.

Lady Éowyn left then, and the twins began to pack the few extra pairs of clothes they owned in a brown bag.

"You should go and take care of the horses," Alena said. "I will go to the kitchens and help gather food for the people."

"Ok," Alana said. "I'll meet you in the stables in an hour."

With that, the girls parted ways. In the stales, Aragorn and Legolas were already getting their horses, Hasufel and Arod, ready for the long ride ahead.

"Stablehand," called one of the castle guards, "care to lend a hand?"

Alana blushed. She should have been here sooner. "Yes, Sir Hama," she said immediately. She hurried over and helped the guard tighten the saddle on his horse. Her fingers were smaller and that made it easier to work the buckles.

Able came in and looked around. He quickly got to work alongside Alana and soon all the horses, minus Myra had been distributed to their oweners, or to those who needed them for the horses whose owners had passed on. Alena entered the stables not long after and saw her sister taking Myra out of her stall. She took Alana's pack, as Alana would be in front and steering the horse.

"Are you girls ready?" Able asked the twins.

Alana looked to her sister, then back to Able. "Yes, Master Able."

The man nodded then walked the girls out of the stable and mounted his own horse, riding off to meet with his family. Alana quickly mounted Myra and extended her hand to Alena to help her up. They galoped through the people making their way out of Edoras until they reached Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Lady Éowyn. They cane to a steady trot beside them.

Legolas looked down at the young girls riding beside him and chuckled. "Do you refuse a saddle, or does your horse?" he joked.

Alana laughed lightly and patted Myra's neck gently. "Myra has never allowed a saddle or reins," she replied. "She is the most stubborn horse I know."

Legolas smiled. All she had been through, and she still spared concern for her horse.