(9) The Last Straw

MARK'S POV:

I don't know why I was so scared last night when I woke up. All I know is I woke up suddenly from a bad dream and everything was so dark. Eventually daddy came and got me which I was happy about. Once I got back to sleep I felt much better but I did wake up again. Daddy was there and I wasn't really scared that time but I had a huge realization type moment.

I know at first I really didn't like being here but considering that I went to jail, and that my dad is obviously okay with pretending I'm no longer his child, this isn't the worst outcome. I do miss my dad, and my mom and sister. I wish I could see them but I also don't know if I'd want them to see me like this. Either way, I'm safe, and comfortable and Daddy listens to me and does everything for me. I think I can get used to being little. My only concern now is being big again when I go to work. I have to work with Kelly again today and I'm worried with how I've been lately that the first abrasive things she says to me will set me off crying. I eventually just fell back asleep but it honestly didn't last long before Daddy woke me up again.

"Come on baby boy. It's time to get up. You've got work today." He said as he shook my shoulder. He turned on the lights and I groaned. Why are they so bright.

"Come on baby. Let's get you ready." He said as he helped me stand up out of the bed. He took me into the bathroom and sat me down on the toilet before brushing my teeth and doing my hair for me. This is honestly nice. I'm so tired and if he's willing to do those things for me then why not.

After getting ready and getting dressed in my uniform I started to get anxiety. How am I going to last a whole shift acting normal like nothings out of the ordinary at home. I took a deep breath and eventually Daddy started walking me to the Starbucks.

Once we were out front, Daddy turned to face me and put his hands on my shoulder which honestly was kind of embarrassing considering I know Kelly can see us right now.

"Listen, just be a good boy and do your job the best you can and if anything happens or you need me you just text or call me okay. Everything's gonna be alright. Just like all your other shifts before okay."

"Okay...." I said nervously

"Good boy." He said with a pat to my shoulder before sending me inside.

"Well looks whose back finally!" Kelly said as she threw a wet rag my way to start wiping down the tables.

"I want gone that long...." I mumbled. Why is she always so....loud.

"Good, then you remember what to do right? It's gonna be busy today." She said before walking off. I sighed, hoping nothing bad would happen today.

JOHN'S POV:

After dropping off Mark I found the closest train station and took the 1 uptown to Marks old apartment. Today I had a progress meeting with his parents to update them on Marks improvement.
I was slightly worried since I knew Mark already had a feeling that they'd given up on him and the last time I met with his parents, I honestly got the same impression. I just hope today with the good news I have that they will change their minds.

After finding my way up to the front door I knocked three times and waited for Mr. Morrison to answer. Eventually it was Myra who answered instead.

"Hey, come in." She said weakly. I could tell she'd been crying at some point which only worried me about todays meeting.

"Hey, John! How's it going. Have a seat." David said cheerily, in stark contrast to his wife's mood.

"Hey there David." I said as he and Myra sat across from me.