Chapter 1: Shinigami Momonga

Momonga flew in the skies of the Shinigami Realm, bored out of his mind. He has been in this world for around five years, learning about this world and its inhabitants. Momonga is still confused as to why he appeared in this world after Yggdrasil had ended. He was supposed to wake up on Earth to continue his meaningless existence and then die, but this was obviously not the case.

This is the world of Shinigami, gods of death. In this world he was viewed as one of them even though he was still a Player. He still possessed the same power he did while inside Yggdrasil, he was powerful, far more than these Shinigami.

Appearing in the Shinigami Realm, Momonga found a black book next to a skeleton, which had the words Death Note on its cover.

The Death Note allows one to kill any human, simply by imagining their face while writing down their name in the Death Note.

The Shinigamis do this to absorb the remaining lifespan of humans, thus extending theirs indefinitely as long as they killed enough humans.

However, the allure of the Death Note did not affect Momonga as he was already immortal and his repertoire of spells allow him similar if not better powers compared to the Death Note.

The Shinigami Realm was boring as it was a bleak and dark world with nothing to do.

Shinigamis mainly sleep all day and die because they forget to kill humans, or go to the Human World to kill humans and to extend their lives.

Momonga has not gone to the Human World since he was trying to figure out as much as possible about his new reality.

So far, he learned that in the Shinigami Realm, all Shinigami are ranked from the strongest S to the E. However, this ranking had to do more with experience and use of one's Death Note than actual strength.

The King of Death is above the S ranked and is the one who enforces the rules of the Death Note.

There is not enough information to narrow down how powerful or the role King of Death possessed.

Momonga estimated that the King of Death should be SS ranked or even SSS, as he hadn't entered the Human World in a long time and hadn't died, meaning he must have killed a large number of humans at one point in time, gaining their lifespan for himself.

How SS rank or even SSS ranked equates to him, Momonga was not sure. For that reason, he placed the King of Death at World Boss level.

Another thing Momonga learned which he found to be interesting is that there exists neither Heaven nor Hell despite the fact that death gods exist. It might even be that these so-called death gods were not really gods, not the kind one would think of. After all, even without the death gods, the world will not be affected, meaning their existence doesn't actually add anything to the world. Other than killing humans, their existence didn't serve any other purpose.

The last thing Momonga made sure to learn was the power and special aspects of a Shinigami. He didn't want to affect the established norm amongst the Shinigami by being too different. Because of this Momonga learned that Shinigami can trade their <Eyes of Death> with humans who touch their Death Note.

They could also trade their wings but all the Shinigami that Momonga asked said not to disclose this information to mortals. Because by doing so, the Shinigami will lose the power to fly until the person they traded with died.

<Eyes of Death> allow one to see the lifespan of a human, along with their name. <Wings of Death> allow one to fly at a speed most humans won't be able to see.

Since he was not a Shinigami, Momonga couldn't see the lifespan of humans. He could use <Detect: Life> to estimate their lifespan but that would not be accurate. Plus, if he traded with a human, he would have to take into account the fact mana doesn't exist in the Shinigami Realm and by extension the Human World.