Chapter 8: The Fall of a Deity in The New World

Part 1: Ryuk's Disbelief
Flying behind Light Yagami, which he has become accustomed to, Ryuk stopped flying with a change in his behavior, causing his 'entertainment' to look at him with a puzzled expression.

"Light, there is something I must attend to. You go ahead without me." Ryuk said as he flew into the skies, vanishing into the veil of dark clouds overhead, not waiting for Light's reply.

Though Light felt a sense of foreboding, he didn't dwell on it. He knew there were many things Ryuk kept from him, and to assume otherwise would be foolish.

He himself has created many failsafe, that Ryuk was none the wiser.

To use someone is to fully trust them or simple yet, be aware of the risk involved. Unfortunately, Ryuk the Shinigami and Light Yagami, the human never trusted each other to begin with.

Ryuk had made it clear at the beginning that he only wanted to see what he would do with the Death Note, so Light Yagami had always moved with the knowledge that they weren't friends. If anything, the fact that Ryuk would be the one to kill him, means the Shinigami was his enemy. Sadly there was nothing he could do about it, since Shinigamis' can't die.

Light had just returned from completing a mission that pushed him a step closer to becoming the God of the New World.

As his mind wondered about what Ryuk might be up to, his phone rang, startling him with its noise.

Looking at the caller ID, he frowned. He had made it clear for this person not to contact him.

Still, it was because of this reason that he had no reason but to answer it.

"This is Light Yagami."

On the other end of the phone, Light could hear a gasp of surprise, as if not expecting him to respond.

The person recovered swiftly and began to spew information that caused Light's expression to change, eyes glittering with happiness before he forcibly suppressed it.

Hanging up, Light's ambitions started to grow as he closed his eyes, hiding the madness that seemed to consume his rational thoughts, "I am so close, I can't fail now."

Glancing at the skies with a bemused smile, he continued on his way back home.

Flying into the darkened skies, Ryuk slows down, before coming to an abrupt halt, his eyes scanning the anomaly before him.

Standing across from him, atop of the dark thunder clouds, a formidable army stood ready to engage should the situation warrant it.

Though they appeared different, they exuded an energy he was familiar with, making Ryuk convinced that they were angels.

Clad in luminous white metallic armor, the angels resembled robotic beings, emitting a divine radiance. They seem to possess power far removed from the world as they stood imposing as the stars above.

The host of the angelic beings is led by a majestic creature adorned in white and golden armor, wielding a scepter in hand.

Despite the angel having a lion's head, it emanated an aura of celestial holiness so pure, that it was blinding.

The lion headed Angel, floated over to Ryuk, with its four wings spreading out majestically, turning the surrounding area into a holy site. Within this area, no evil could approach, and any insolent beings will turn to dust from its power.

The angel held a scepter and spoke in an authoritative tone that left no doubt in its words. "I am Aziel, the Guardian of the Gates of Paradise. Under the command of the Supreme Being, we are tasked with finding the Shinigami known as Ryuk and bringing him to Paradise." Arriving within two meters of Ryuk, Aziel continued, "Now I ask thee, are you Ryuk of the Shinigami Realm?"