Chapter 4: Light Yagami

Returning to Light's side, Ryuk chuckled, causing Light Yagami to look at him with a questioning gaze. However, Light could not ask, as he knew there were cameras observing his actions. If he acts suspicious, a lot of things would spiral out of his control.

This was the price for his actions, though he knew he was rash in the beginning, this did not stop him from continuing his plan.

Had he made sure the news was being broadcast worldwide, he would not have had a Task Force on his tail.

Even watching news from other countries and killing criminals did not stop the Task Force from arriving in Japan.

Observing Light, Ryuk burst into laughter, 'What an amusing human! If only he knew he was in danger, how would he react? However, considering the things on the line, I guess I should tell him? One apple or a thousand, the choice is obvious!'

Ryuk did not care for Light's wellbeing. He had help Light to locate the cameras because he Light said he would give him apples in return. If Light died, he would collect his Death Note and return to the Shinigami Realm, however boring it is.

"Light, do not react in a suspicious way about the information I am about to tell you. Nod if you understand." Seeing Light nod, Ryuk continued, "Good, there is someone outside your window observing you. He has been there awhile now, however that is not what I want to tell you. Someone has dropped a book in the Human World, and someone has taken possession of it. Their goal is to hunt down Kira - you." Ryuk decided not to say anything about Yael and Paradise. Light did not need to know about things he shouldn't, plus he was still uncertain about these things. If he gives Light too much information, there is a possibility he could win the bet, but Ryuk knew Light was very smart for a human, so he limited the information he gave. It is not that Ryuk was being stupid, but he had to think about things in the long run. If Light and the owner of the Life Note contend for a long time, he could gather information on the abilities of Yael - through the Life Note user, which would benefit him. True, the Branch of the Tree of Life was good but that was an item which is worth less than information on an unknown being - who may threaten the status quo of the Human World and the Shinigami Realm. Even if he lost the wager, there is no reason he cannot gain the Branch of the Tree of Life in the future.

Light looked at Ryuk with a shit eating face, thankfully he contained himself and didn't draw attention to himself. He knew he was being observed but did not realize there was someone outside monitoring him. If he had done something odd or suspicious during this time, he could kiss his career gone. Though he already predicted such actions, Light found it was too soon. He was just a student studying for the college exam, why would L waste time on him?

Going through his memories, Light could not find where he messed up. No matter how intelligent L is, there is no way he could pinpoint him as Kira.

Wait! Could they discover my usage of my father's computer? However, I use the correct password and have not been locked out. There has to be another reason! I guess I need to start working inside the Task Force and get L on my side. Eventually he will slip up and that is when he dies!

Light's eyes glowed with confidence before realizing something. Why did Ryuk tell me this information? I did not bribe him, so he had no incentive to be nice. Could the book drop be different? Is the book of Shinigamis different? No, wait! Why must it be a Death Note? Ryuk in the beginning said that I will not enter Heaven or Hell when I die, so could the book be from one of those places? If so, what are the powers? Also why did he mention a drop book and someone outside in the same sentence? What is the connection between them?

Doing his homework, Light calmed down as he almost snapped his pen because of frustration. He was in a dangerous state. The police were suspicious of him, L was on his tail and a new enemy popped up?