Chapter 2 : Suspicion

A breaking news report interrupted my TV viewing, revealing multiple simultaneous explosions at various locations. The devastating attacks resulted in numerous casualties and left many survivors severely injured. The culprits responsible for these acts of violence remained unidentified, and the news promised further updates as more information became available.

Considering the possibility of yet another terrorist attack, I couldn't help but feel a wave of frustration. What could these individuals possibly gain from such heinous acts? As I continued watching the news for any additional details, Aaron snatched the remote and changed the channel, sticking his tongue out playfully. "My turn to watch TV," he taunted. "Aaron, please. I was watching the news," I pleaded. "Go watch it on your phone, news addict," he retorted with a smirk.

Feeling disappointed, I made my way to the kitchen, where I found my dad assisting my mom with cooking. Glancing at the clock, I realized it was only 4 PM. "Mom, Dad... can I go for a walk outside?" I asked. "Sure, sweetie. Just be careful," my mom replied. "Thanks!" I rushed back to my room, slipped on my shoes, grabbed my phone, and ventured outside.

I needed this walk to relieve the stress from school and other issues weighing on my mind. Stepping out, I was greeted by a refreshing breeze that instantly lifted my spirits. As I passed by my neighbor's house, she struck up a conversation. "Hello, Justin. Where are you off to?" Mrs. Richard inquired. "Oh, hey, Mrs. Richard. I'm just going for a walk," I responded with a smile. She nodded and returned the smile. Plugging in my AirPods, I immersed myself in my favorite tunes, such as Lewis Capaldi's heartfelt "Someone You Loved."

Lost in my thoughts, I eventually arrived near an abandoned building. Initially, I paid it little attention until faint voices reached my ears. Curiosity piqued, I walked closer and discovered a broken window. With a mix of caution and intrigue, I peered inside.

In the dimly lit room, I saw a desk surrounded by a group of robots. Although they conversed in their robotic language, I couldn't comprehend their words. This struck me as peculiar since the government programmed these robots to communicate solely in English. Observing more closely, I noticed that they had a map of Earth spread out on the desk. One particular robot, acting as the spokesperson, pointed to a location on the map—North America. I distinctly heard it mention Florida. The situation felt increasingly bizarre.

Suddenly, a stray dog's barking startled me, causing all the robots to turn their attention toward the window. Swiftly, I moved away, ensuring they couldn't spot me, and hurriedly made my way down the street. Something was definitely amiss.

Continuing my walk, I encountered other robots passing by. Typically, these robots wore friendly smiles and greeted people on the streets, but the ones I encountered now appeared cold and... dangerous. Despite the unsettling feeling in my gut, I tried to brush off the unease.

Deciding to take a break, I stopped at a nearby shop to purchase some fruit juice. The shopkeeper's words caught me off guard. "You're not supposed to be here, kid," he warned. Puzzled, I inquired, "Why?" His response was cryptic, "Never mind. What would you like?" I requested orange juice, and as he went to retrieve it, I overheard muffled voices emanating from the adjacent room.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I couldn't resist eavesdropping. "Here is your payment. Now leave us alone," a human voice pleaded. In response, a robotic voice replied, "But this isn't the full amount! Until you pay us the remaining sum and hand over half of the Earth, we will continue causing destruction."

Startled by the revelation, I swiftly returned to the shop counter just as the shopkeeper handed me my drink. Sensing the urgency in his voice, he urged me to leave quickly and head back home. "Go home now before they hear you. Thank you, and be safe," he advised with a hint of panic in his tone. Grateful for his concern, I mumbled a hasty thank you and hurriedly made my way back home.

Questions raced through my mind as I walked briskly. What was all this about? Could it be that the government was indeed concealing significant secrets from the public? The events I had witnessed—the secretive robots and the suspicious conversation—seemed to point to a hidden truth lurking beneath the surface.

Arriving home, I found my mom and dad engrossed in their cooking, unaware of the turmoil brewing within me. I quietly slipped off my shoes and retreated to my room, seeking solitude to process the startling information I had stumbled upon.

With a mix of concern and determination, I realized that I needed to dig deeper into the unfolding mystery. My instinct told me that there was more to these incidents than meets the eye. Little did I know that my quest for answers would lead me down a path filled with danger, suspense, and unexpected revelations that could change the course of not just my life, but the fate of humanity itself.