Chapter 3: Secrets exposed

On a lazy Sunday morning, I neglected to inform anyone about the events that transpired the day before. After completing my morning routine and having breakfast, I settled on the couch with my phone, only to realize that my friends from school were due to arrive any minute. Panicking, I hurriedly tidied up the place and informed my mom. Just as the clock approached 10, a knock echoed from the front door. Opening it, I greeted Mike with our customary bro handshake, and Angela and Rose followed suit. Inviting them inside, we made ourselves comfortable.

Mike, my childhood best friend who had recently moved to Florida, was finally back in town. It was a joyous reunion after a long time apart. Angela and Rose, Mike's twin sisters and our fellow schoolmates, added to the lively atmosphere. After settling on the couch, Mike asked if there was anything interesting to discuss. I replied, "Yes, but let's wait for the others first."

Mike and I caught up on old times while Angela and Rose went to greet my mom. Engrossed in his sandwich, Mike seemed distracted, prompting me to nudge him for attention. Angela playfully hit his arm, causing him to protest before returning his focus to the conversation. However, his sisters were more attentive, listening intently as I recounted the events I had witnessed the day before. Suddenly, Mike's attention was piqued when he realized the seriousness of the situation. Angela suggested revisiting the location to gather more information, and Mike enthusiastically agreed. We informed my mom and set off towards the abandoned building.

As we approached the building, I cautioned my friends to wait while I checked for any signs of activity. Peering through the window, I found no one inside and signaled for them to join me. Mike, fueled by curiosity, proposed exploring the building for clues and evidence. Surprisingly, the door was unlocked, allowing us easy access. Together, we scoured the area, searching for any trace of information.

Excitement filled the air when Rose exclaimed, clutching a piece of paper in her hands. Eagerly, we gathered around her as she revealed a map, with Florida boldly underlined in red, accompanied by the notation "5 pm." Confusion washed over us as we tried to decipher its meaning. I pieced together the fragments of our recent experiences and came to a chilling realization—robots were behind the explosions reported in the news. Not all robots, of course, but some were responsible and driven by a desire to seize control of a portion of the Earth. I shared my theory with my friends, and gradually, they began to see the connections as well. Anxiety etched on their faces, Angela posed a crucial question: "If that's the case, is Florida their next target? Are they planning an explosion for 5 pm?" Our eyes widened in fear as Rose quietly revealed the time—it was 4:55 pm. Panic consumed us as we contemplated the potential location of the impending explosion.

Suddenly, a thunderous noise erupted from the distance, akin to an explosion. Rushing outside, we were met with a devastating sight—the main mall in Florida was engulfed in flames, billowing smoke into the sky. Echoing screams and cries reverberated through the air. Determined to help, we made our way toward the chaos. Amidst the turmoil, my phone rang, and I instinctively answered without checking the caller ID. It was my mom, frantic with worry, urging me to return home immediately. Assuring her I would, I ended the call and turned to my friends, explaining the gravity of the situation. Reluctantly, they understood the urgency and, led by Mike, we retraced our steps, with him grabbing the map as potential evidence.

Mike emphasized the need to prioritize our safety and return home. We acknowledged his reasoning, aware that the authorities, such as the police and firefighters, were better equipped to handle the situation. Reluctantly, we made our way back, each heading towards our respective homes.

Upon entering my house, I found my parents waiting anxiously in the living room. Their faces lit up with relief as they saw me, and they immediately enveloped me in a tight hug. Silence filled the room until my dad broke it, expressing their deep concern for my well-being. Wanting to reassure them, I whispered, "Mom, dad, I need to tell you something." They sat down, their eyes filled with anticipation, as I recounted the events I had witnessed.