Chapter 2

{Tay}

you know, the sunset from that one park on 3rd street always looks amazing at about 6:50, you should see it sometime - jenna

yeah? are you implying that you want to watch the sunset with me? - tay

that may or may not be true. - jenna

i'll be there at 6:30 - tay

I sighed and set my phone down beside me on my bed. This would be the first time I was seeing Jenna since the party. I was quietly freaking out because over the past two weeks the texts shared between us have been some of the best conversations I've ever had with anyone and I didn't want to mess anything up. I glanced down at what I was wearing and frowned, a twenty one pilots shirt and sweatpants, probably not something I should wear. I changed into a pair of jeans and left the same shirt, which didn't actually matter because I would be wearing a jacket anyways.

"Hey, does this look alright?" I got Lynn's attention from across the small room. She had her head buried in some textbook with papers sprawled out in front of her. Sometimes I questioned her organization skills especially when it came to her side of the room, but I realized after the third week of living with her that it didn't matter to me because I didn't have to clean any of her mess up anyways.

"Yup, you look fine. Why?" She asked after lifting her head up from her book and looking me up and down.

"I'm seeing this girl I met a few weeks ago, her name is Jenna." I told her and straightened out my shirt. I grabbed my jacket hanging on one of the hooks on my side of the room and put it on.

"Oh fun, good luck!" Lynn smiled and resumed with her work. I plugged my earbuds in and slipped my phone in the pocket of my jacket, the beginning notes of East Jesus Nowhere rang into my ears.

I made my way out of the dorms and onto the sidewalk and I silently cheered for the lack of rain. It seemed like for the past month it hadn't stopped raining and I was glad tonight mother nature had chosen to give me a break. It wasn't that long of a walk, only about ten minutes and I was at the park. I was a few minutes early so I texted Jenna asking her if she was here already. She responded after a minute that she was near a small waterfall and bridge and I could try and figure out where that was myself. I muttered to myself that this was unfair and started walking down the sidewalk in the park, looking for any signs that would direct me to the place Jenna told me about.

Eventually, I spotted the bridge and walked over to it. I found Jenna sitting on the grass near there and patted the ground beside her when she saw me. I sat down next to her and she flashed a small smile.

"It's so nice out tonight." She broke the silence. I wondered if she preferred this type of weather, I sure didn't. Cold and rainy was definitely not my cup of tea.

"Eh, it's okay I guess. I'm not a big fan of this weather, I love the summer though. The sun is my best friend and I just don't like being cold." I told her. I watched as she processed my words, I couldn't stop over-examining and being worried she thought what I was saying was stupid. I've always been like that, since I was little I've worried about what others were thinking of me, but don't we all?

"Summer is okay, when I moved from Australia I did it to get away from everything that was familiar to me. Living here where there's all four seasons is kind of what I like best. Sure, the harsh winters are slightly out of my comfort zone , only because they aren't what I'm accustomed to." Jenna explained. I hadn't really thought about not having freezing winters, rainy and gloomy springs, and chilly and crisp falls. Jenna had really been missing a lot. I also was slightly making the assumption that Australia was sunny and hot all year-round but I didn't have too much experience with the country.

"I've never been out of the United States actually, if I were to move to a country with a completely different climate it would take me so long to adjust, to be honest." I said and stretched my legs out in front of me. It was easy to talk to Jenna like this, I was especially glad this meeting hadn't started out awkward.

"Tell me more about yourself, I want to know your deepest and darkest secrets." Jenna chuckled a little near the end of her sentence. I shook my head jokingly and crossed my arms.

"Maybe someday, for now I'll tell you simple stuff. First, my favorite color is red and has been since I was eleven. Second, my love for cats is deeper than my love for any other person I've met and I'll probably end up 35, single, and with 4 cats. Third, instead of Coke or Pepsi, I like Dr.Pepper. That's all I'm telling you for now." I finished. They weren't any particularly important or interesting facts, but Jenna paid attention to me the entire time I talked. It made me feel a little bit more important than usual and I liked that.

"Now is it my turn?" She asked and I nodded in response. I hoped she'd say things more interesting than I did. I'm not a very complicated or adventurous person, Jenna gave off the vibe that she's seen more of the world than most people. I'm not sure why but I see her as an extremely fascinating person.

"To start, when I lived in Australia I was in a band, I sang. When I'm really into a book, I could sit down and read the entire thing with no interest in doing anything else. I used to hike and camp a lot, after moving I haven't found the time to do so yet. My favorite flavor of ice cream is simply chocolate." Jenna told me with a smile on her face the entire time. I glanced up at the sky and almost gasped at how pretty it was. Even though the sky had previously been an unattractive gray color, it now was painted with pinks and oranges as the sun set.

"Jesus, you were right about the sunset here." I gaped. I couldn't take my eyes away from the sky.

"That's why I asked you here wasn't it?" She laughed. I took my eyes away from the sky to look at her. Her face was illuminated by the suddenly bright colors of the sky.

"Thanks." I nudged her a little with my elbow. She nodded in response and turned her head back to the sunset taking place in front of us. This night had been pretty perfect, I had to admit.

...

here's a little update because I couldn't wait to really get this story started. I'm so excited to write this one!

I only have two more days of school so I'm hoping to get out another update before then but no promises.

thanks for voting/commenting all your feedback is much appreciated!

ily