Chapter 4

{Tay}

im really sorry about what happened, could we meet up somewhere? - jenna

i guess, where? - tay

the bookstore on oak street - jenna give me 20 minutes - tay

I had gotten over what happened by now. A little over a week had passed and Jenna hadn't tried to contact me at all, I thought she was done with me or something. I fixed my hair quickly, putting it up into a ponytail. I threw on a jacket and put on my converse before leaving my dorm, I walked down the sidewalk in silence. A few people passed me along the way, I ignored them.I found the bookstore easily, going inside immediately.

I walked around the store for a few minutes, keeping my eye out for Jenna. There was a few tables in the back of the store where I hadn't checked yet. I passed through the aisles of books to get to the back. When I got to the back of the store and spotted Jenna, I had to do a double take. She was sporting short, dark green hair. Her medium length, dirty blonde hair was gone. Jenna was sitting back in a chair in front of a table, a book laid out in front of her.

I strolled up to the table and sat down across from Jenna. She looked up from the book she was reading and gave a small smile. I had to admit, her new hairstyle did look pretty good on her.

"Hey." She said softly due to the couple people seated at the surrounding tables working or reading. Jenna shut the book in front of her and pushed it to the side of the table, then crossed her arms and rested them on the table.

"Hi, how's it going?" I asked, attempting to make small talk. There was a slightly awkward vibe coming from Jenna and all I wanted was for it to go away.

"I'm fine, things have just been kind of busy lately." She shrugged and rocked slightly on her chair.

"You changed your hair." I noted, trying to start a conversation. My hands fidgeted in my lap, distracting me from the strange behavior Jenna was displaying. She was acting completely different than the other night.

"Yeah, I just wanted to add a little something different into my life. Why not something that I can change back whenever I want." Jenna replied.

"So, lets cut to the chase, why did you text me this morning. From the lack of communication over the past week or so, I had assumed you were done with me." I told her. Her face softened at the comment.

"Tay, I was giving you space. You seemed upset that I had left so I was letting you cool off. By the way, I really am sorry about bailing on you all of a sudden, my Mom had texted me saying it was something urgent. I had tried to ignore it because most of the time "urgent" meant something along the lines of her needing someone to help her pick out new curtains for the front room of her and my stepdad's house. But, I got worried and thought I should check on her." Jenna rambled, explaining why I hadn't heard from her and why she left. I was relieved to hear that my personality and/or appearance hadn't caused Jenna to run off.

"Oh, now I feel kind of stupid." I sighed and covered my face with my hands. I was pretty embarrassed that I had jumped to so many conclusions. I couldn't believe I got so worked over nothing. I guess in my defense she could've explained why she was leaving. I felt someone take grab my wrists gently and pull them down. Jenna was staring at me and she moved her hands down so she was holding mine. She let go of one of my hands but continued holding my right one.

"You're not stupid, you just were quick to judge the situation, it happens to the best of us." Jenna reassured me. It made me feel better that I hadn't ruined anything.

"So, do you come here often?" I asked, taking another glance around the store. It consisted of mostly rows of reading material. I had never been very big on reading, I think I just got easily distracted.

"To be honest, I'm probably here at least once a week. I love it here, it's so quiet an peaceful."She admitted. I could tell by how she was talking that this small book store was special to her. The book store to her was like Netflix was to me.

"It is a nice place, what are you reading?" I continued to talk to Jenna quietly. We were sat at that table for about twenty minutes before we noticed a few people kept looking over at us because of the volume we were talking at. It had slipped past me that we were still in a bookstore and similar rules to libraries were applied here. Jenna and I decided to leave the sitting area and she lead me through the aisles made up of bookcases. After I told Jenna that I had never read her favorite book, she insisted that she buy it for me. We eventually left the book store and walked down the sidewalk with no specific destination.

"Hey Jenna? Can I hold your hand?" I asked, I was trying not to embarrass again but it seemed like I was failing. I mean, who asks someone if they can hold their hand? I'm literally a spork. Instead of Jenna making fun of me like I was expecting, she took hold of my hand.

"You don't have to ask." She laughed lightly, making me smile. Jenna swung mine and her hands back and forth with a grin on her face.

By the time we had to go our separate ways, I had come to the conclusion that Jenna was a very special person. She had such an interesting personality and seemed to have an endless amount of things to talk about. I really enjoyed her company and I still was embarrassed from my previous actions.I hoped we could just keep going with whatever we had.

...

its 2:41 AM, im eating funyuns and listening to a playlist my friend made me. anyways, sorry for how long it took to get this chapter out. Things had happened earlier in the week, on friday I went and saw sleeping with sirens, and the new season of orange is the new black came out so i was kind of distracted.

thanks for voting/commenting

ily