6

"No wonder I'm practically covered in bruises. I thought it was all just a bad dream..."

She had just finished explaining their entire encounter with the man in the garden. Tighnari squinted his eyes and touched his chin, debating on whether or not she was telling the truth. Her eyes told no lies, as if there weren't a single bad thought behind them- or perhaps no thoughts at all. Nonetheless, they stared at him while he pondered over the story.

"And the Corps of Thir- er, the police that questioned you earlier... what are they gonna do?"

She shrugged. "I kept you hidden as much as I possibly could. Like you said, if the only people who got a good look at you were at the library, then we shouldn't worry too much. Besides, the police need a warrant if they want to search this place."

The day that the emergency message was sent out,, Tighnari was left outside of the library and made a run for it when people started giving him hostile and strange looks. He ended up running towards the forest, but had to rest somewhere from exhaustion and the intense heat, which wound him up in that mans backyard.

"How did you find out you're suddenly wanted? What did you do, go feral or somethin'?"

He raised his fork to his mouth, but stopped. She could see his canines, sharper and a tad bigger than any normal persons. It was cute. "Feral? What, am I some kind of withered riftwolf?"

He sighed when she gave him a look of utter confusion. The dinner she snuck down for him was nearly finished. "Those devices you people carry around- I heard several of them go off at the same time by the people around me. It was quite an odd experience, I was minding my own business, figuring out where to go next when suddenly all eyes were on me- I sensed hostility."

His gaze hardened. "But what are they gonna do? Lock me up? I dare them. I'm not risking arrest until I leave this world for good."

Both of them sat in silence for a while, piecing together the entire scenario. (Y/N) had her knees huddled to her chest, watching the single window darken as night approached. "So, got any ideas as to what to do next?"

Tighnari swallowed the last bit of his dinner. "I'm still trying to figure out the whole cause and effect of transportation from my world to yours. I can thrive in this world for however long I need to, the ecology in your world is incredibly similar to my own- if not simpler. I'll navigate perfectly find on my own if I have to."

(Y/N)'s heart leaped from her chest. "So you're a biology student too?"

He crossed his arms. "Back in my world, we call it Amurta." As his gaze softened with a look of longing, so did the tips of his ears. "I did graduate a few years ago, however. Why do you ask?"

She leaned back, biting her lip. "Well, I did say that I would help you, and when the time comes you would help me. Remember that?" He nodded. "Good. Now, my midterm is coming up and I really need to pass it- I hope you know your stuff."

It was true. She did help him a lot, and it was time to return the favour. That particular biology class was a pain in the behind for her. "So what? You want me to help you study?"

She snapped her fingers. "Exactly. I've seen the way you read those textbooks- it's like you're practically eating the words. But, I am tired and it is late. So how 'bout a study session tomorrow? Yeah? Cool. See ya."

In the blink of an eye she felt his hand on her shoulder. "Hold your horses! What am I supposed to do? What if someone comes down here? You're really just gonna leave me here? Alone?"

She huffed a lock of (h/c) hair out of her face. "You're really panicky, you know that?"

"I'd like to see you try surviving in a weird and mysterious world with no forewarning whatsoever."