10

"Are you absolutely sure this is it?"

"I'm positive. It's the very first thing I remember, and the stench around this place makes it hard to forget."

"Maybe you hit your head? And your memories are messed up?"

"I'll hit you on the head if you don't stop talking." Theresa snapped, her face scrunched up in a scowl as she investigated the manhole.

To an outsider, it looked like three weirdos conducting a paranormal mission on the sidewalk, with (Y/N) being the only one dressed ordinarily. Both Tighnari and Theresa were dressed in baggy clothing, hats and shades attempting to mask their identities.

"I don't see or feel any traces of magic..." Theresa said, tucking her crystal necklace back into her shirt.

A sour smell whiffed into the air, (Y/N) plugged her nose. "Well then, I guess we're gonna have to start following your steps, Tighnari. Lead the way."

He adjusted his sunglasses and nodded. "The streets were swarming with people and all kinds of smells and noises. It really made my head spin..." He explained, turning a few corners and stopping occasionally to recall his memories. "And then... I passed by this building and stopped right here, I wasn't sure where to go. That's when I encountered you."

(Y/N) nodded, remembering their first interaction as if it was yesterday. "That's right. It's been about a week since then, but I still don't see any symbols or witchy things- Theresa, what are we looking for exactly?"

The said girl was wandering a few meters away with the crystal in her hand again, trying to detect any signs or traces. She sighed and put the crystal away, shaking her head. "We're looking for clues, (Y/N). But I don't get it, there should be traces or even the image of the symbol somewhere- anywhere..."

Both girls let out an annoyed breath, and Tighnari looked down at the ground deep in thought, flapping his thick shirt to cool off.

"Let's take a break and clear our heads. We can try again later, maybe we overlooked something." (Y/N) suggested, earning whines from the both of them in return.

"Listen, I'm not complaining but It's quite hot and your house is a long ways away."

"Tighnari's right, if I stay out here any longer my makeup will melt right off." The witch said, flapping her hands around her face to exaggerate her point.

"I get Tighnari's point but Theresa, you have no right to complain. You didn't have to wear a trench coat in the middle of summer, geez." She didn't wait for a retort. "I know just the place, follow me."

She led them through the alleys and crossed some streets, then down a rocky slope and brought them under the shade of the bridge.

Theresa gingerly sat down on a rock, squealing at a bug that ran across a rock beside her. "What the hell (Y/N)? Is this your rat hole?"

Tighnari busied himself with splashing water on his exposed face and ears, his disguise hung loosely from his waist and his tail poured out from his pants. "It's not a rat hole, it's a perfect place to go when you don't want the entire cities eyes on you, and when you're avoiding roasting into a Tandoori chicken."

With a huff, Theresa too stripped her bulky disguise and peeled off blonde hair that stuck to the back of her neck, hiding her relief with a face of annoyance.

(Y/N) sat on a rock, eyeing the way that Tighnari gazed into the flowing water. Even after all the time they spent together, she was still amazed by his animal like features. His head raised and he turned his head, feeling her eyes on him. He jerked his head, indicating for her to sit next to him. She bounded down the rocks and crouched down beside him, smiling.