Birthday

"Well done today boys," Coach praises, dismissing us from practice

"Well done today boys," Coach praises, dismissing us from practice. I look around and try to spot Harper because we agreed to meet at the rugby field at half four.

I roll my eyes, remembering how forgetful she is.

"Hey man," Emilio greets as he approaches me. "Where is everyone?" I ask.

"Back at the dorms, we're going to watch a movie," He replies. We walk back to the room while I pull out my phone and message Harper, telling her to come and watch the movie with us.

"I'll fucking kill you!" Someone shouts as we walk into our room. I'm met with the sight of Tyler and Dex practically strangling each other as they roll around the room, knocking over everything in sight.

Their fighting doesn't faze me, I just walk around them completely unbothered. That is until I spot Harper's bed.

"What did you two idiots do?" I question angrily, knowing Harper may literally cry when she sees this mess on her usually pristine bed.

They stop fighting for a slip second to look up at me, "We didn't do that," Tyler says before continuing to headlock Dex.

Before I have time to question them a knock at the door reverberates through the room. The feeling of relief and contentment course through me as I realise Harper's back. She's the only one that ever knocks.

My smile quickly morphs into a frown when the door opens, revealing Mr. Davis. "Hello boys," He greets in an agitated tone, staring at Dex and Tyler who immediately stop fighting.

"Where is Harper," He questions. "Why?" I reply, knowing Davis only goes out of his why to find students when they're in trouble.

"She lied to a teacher and bunked off all her lessons, you tell her just because it's her birthday doesn't mean she gets to-" His angry rant is cut off by Emilio. "Birthday?" He repeats.

"Yes it's her birthday," Davis replies, clearly confused how we didn't know that. "No it's not," I say bluntly, knowing Harper would have told me.

"Well according to her files and the copy of her birth certificate we have she was born this day eighteen years ago." He explains. "Just tell her to report to my office as soon as she gets back," He sighs, exiting the room.

We're left in silence, absolutely baffled.

"Why wouldn't she tell us," Emilio frowns. I can't help but feel a little offended that she didn't tell me, especially with a birthday as important as her eighteenth.

"Ugh I would have thrown her the best party," Miles says, sounding genuinely upset. "Well she's clearly having fun partying with someone else," Dex rolls his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

"Well she bunked school and still isn't back so she's obviously out with her other friends," He clarifies. Jealously serges through me as I feel my anger rising.

"I don't think she is," Carter interjects. "I saw her rushing out of class and she seemed panicked not excited." 

"What? and you didn't think to tell me," I question, angry that he didn't immediately alert me once he saw my girlfriend upset. He shrugs in reply.

I rack my brain trying to think of all the places she might be. 

I come up with three options, the turf, the gym or this little animal shelter she occasionally volunteers at. 

"Where are you going?" Miles asks as I pull my jacket on. "To fucking look for her," I reply, slamming the door behind me.

 "To fucking look for her," I reply, slamming the door behind me

Today hasn't exactly been going to plan. 

I fell asleep on the train and luckily woke up just as it was about to leave my stop. I rushed out so quickly that I accidentally left my bag on my seat.

Meaning my phone is now dead because I no longer have a battery pack and I was going to get the bus with the ten quid that was in the front pocket but now I have to walk the four miles to the graveyard.

Thankfully I put on Lucian's hoodie before I fell asleep because I don't think I'd be able to stick it out in this cold weather without it.

The street lights illuminate the pavement I walk along as car after car drive past me. One thing I like about Cornwall is that it's much more busy than Cartmel which makes this nighttime walk much less creepy.

I hum as I walk, singing songs in my head until I eventually make it to the little corner shop that's close to the graveyard. My feet ache after hours of walking but I persist, heading straight to the cake aisle.

I pat my jeans, pulling out around two pounds in change. I try not to get upset at the fact that I can't buy a cake, instead picking up a container with two little cupcakes.

I pay and head back out into the brisk night, making my way down the road.

The familiar grey gates tower over me as I approach the silent graveyard. I walk past hundreds of graves until I eventually reach hers. Amelia Flores.

My guilty conscious weighs down on me as I stare at her unkept grave, weeds and grass almost entirely covering it. "I'm sorry," I sigh before getting to work, pulling out weeds and attempting to make it look somewhat presentable.

Once I'm done I sit down on the grass, my back against the stone as I start catching her up on everything that's happened since I last came here even though I'm fully aware that I'm just talking to myself.

The large clock on the face of the old church rings out, indicating that it's now eleven. Knowing our birthday will be over soon I take out my cupcake, lifting it up as if I was making a toast. 

"Happy birthday Lia," I say before taking a bite.