3

Leora

one week later

I finally saw it, superheroes! They do exist... I'm not the only one who has powers! It was amazing, I saw a girl with a magical staff, a killer cat, a big ass robot, a man with a hood, and a girl with goggles! They didn't see me, but I saw them. In the air, training, or waiting for something. I wasn't sure what though. I knew I wasn't the only one though!

//////////////

"Ray?" Beth says as she snaps me out of my trance once again. All eyes were on me at our lunch table, I simply reply with a hm?

"Unbelievable, she didn't even hear you," Rick says as he rolls his eyes.

"Rick, relax... We were just wondering if you wanted to come over to my house tonight, you know. Watch a movie, or study. Your pick." Courtney says with a smile, and I smile widely.

"I wou- I can't, I have dinner with the Mahkent's. We have dinner once a week." I say to her sadly as I realized my one chance to hang with my friends after school is a bust.

"So, just ditch it. Missing one stupid dinner wouldn't kill anybody." Rick says as he looks at me annoyed. He then mouths to me "Remember what I said."

"She can't go, leave it be Rick," Yolanda says as she nudges Rick annoyed.

"I'll ask, just text me your address. I'll see if I can go." I say to them as I give her a smile. They all smile back except Rick, who just starts eating his food ignoring the whole conversation.

///////

"So, Mom can I go? Pleaseeeeee, I won't be gone too long, I'll be back by 10." I beg my Mom and Dad, they both look at each other and sigh.

"Ray, we always have these dinners, what will Cameron say? You're really going to ditch your best friend?" My Dad asks me and I think about it for a second.

"This is the first time I've been invited to hang out, plus missing one dinner won't kill anyone. Just this one time, please?" I ask them and they sigh in defeat.

"Alright fine, but be back by 9:30." My Mom says.

"9:45." I try to compromise. "Ray..." She says, and I sigh, "Fine, 9:30. Love you guys, tell Mr. Mahkent and Cameron I said hi!" I say to them as I google where Courtney lives and I shut the door.

"5-minute walk, huh, she lives just down the block," I say to myself as I start to walk over to her house.

As I was walking I hear a car driving past me, and I see a familiar face in it. He parks the car across the street from me and comes my way. I walk a little faster and I look straight to pretend I don't see him.

Just as I got to Courtney's house, Rick passes me as I was about to walk up to their door.

"Ignoring me I see," Rick says coldly, and I blush lightly but said nothing. Rick beats me to knock on the door, and I assume Courtney's Mom Barbra opens the door.

Her face lights up and Rick and I's faces.

"Come on in! You must be Leora, Courtney has told me so much about you!" Her mom says cheerfully to me and extends her hand to me. I shake it happily.