Prologue

We were on a school trip when it happened.

The teacher was talking about the zodiac test exam. And the next minute he was gone. There. Gone. No "poof". No flash of light. No explosion. Just gone.

Karuizawa Kei who was sitting a little bit further away from the three, was staring blankly at a chair-the exact chair that Mashima-sensei had previously occupied.

For a moment, everyone in the room thought that they had imagined it, the teacher disappearance. For a moment, they thought that they might had slipped into a daydream.

Panicking, Karuizawa Kei then immediately turned to the closest person she can see, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, who sat just a little bit on her left. "H-Hey, you saw that, right?"

Asked Karuizawa ignoring the fact that she had spoken to a boy she typically didn't engage with, the boy she had questioned remained silent.

He was busy staring hard at the place where the teacher had been, various interpretations coming up to his mind such as why did their teacher disappeared and how. But of course, there is no way Karuizawa Kei would have know all this.

"Huh? where's Mashima-sensei?"
The others finally caught up to their senses.

The one who voiced the question was Yukimura Teruhiko, a classmate of mine with an average of height, gray hair, red eyes and round glasses. He possessed an excellent academic skill and often held a condescending attitude towards the rest of Class 1-D.

"I don't know, I've been asking the same question... I-I think Sensei must have left," Karuizawa said with a hint of anxiety lacing her voice, though it seemed she didn't truly believe on her own words.

Sotomura, an overweight first-year high school student with glasses, also referred to as "The Professor," interjected, saying, "Wrong, Karuizawa-san. Poof." He exclaimed, gesturing with his fingers as if trying to illustrate the concept of the situation.

Hearing this remark, the three of them exchanged glances, tilting their heads in various directions. They couldn't help but chuckle nervously, they find it ridiculous and funny that they even consider thinking on it in the first place.

"Seriously? Mashima-sensei poofed?" Yukimura exclaimed, suppressing a little chuckle from coming out on his voice. "As if I would believe that"

"...no use" someone uttered.

As if wanting to hear the others opinion, they all reflexively turned around and see their classmate Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, who had been silent the entire time since their teacher's disappearance.
He appeared to be deep in thought, as he fixed his gaze on something as he absentmindedly fiddled with his phone.

"Ayanokouji-dono, if I may ask, what exactly are you doing?" Inquired Sotomura as his curiosity gets better into him.

Ayanokouji glanced up from his phone and replied calmly, "Oh, this? Nothing really. I was just trying to contact Chiyabashira-sensei in the hopes of getting some answers about this entire situation but it appears that the internet is down." He nonchalantly continued.

"H-huh?" Karuizawa stammered, her confusion is evident. "Why would the internet be out of service in a place like this? I mean, sure, we're literally in the middle of the sea, but isn't this ship government-funded? Shouldn't it be equipped with internet access, especially in case of emergencies?"

She voiced her perplexity, questioning the absence of an internet connection on a vessel that she assumed would have been well-prepared for such situations.

It seems like I have underestimated her ability to ask such a question, assuming that her appearance was the only notable aspect about her. It is clear now that she possesses more than just her physical attributes and has a thoughtful and inquisitive mind. it serves as a reminder not to judge others based solely on their looks, as there is often more to a person than meets the eye. But that's not what's important right now.