Chapter 2.1: The S-system and Introduction

(AN: Brace yourself as this'll be long: 13310 words! *Proud*)

After the video that was played earlier ended, everyone on the gymnasium was buzzing with confusion and curiosity. Students around me started theorizing what's the purpose of my thoughts and life being displayed on the screen. Some dismissed it as a pointless waste of time while there were others who view this opportunity as a chance to gain a deeper understanding of Class D's life, observing their experiences and possibly uncovering our weaknesses. What were the mastermind hope to achieve? Were they trying to foster empathy or create a deeper understanding among classmates? Or perhaps there was a more sinister motive behind it all? These questions swirled the students mind as they eagerly wait for the next video to be shown. The discussions continued for around 15 minutes, until the screen suddenly flickered to life once again, indicating the start of another video.

I disliked the entrance ceremony and imagined that many first-year students probably felt the same. The principal and the students exchanged excessive words of gratitude, there was far too much time spent standing in lines, and, with so many irritating things to deal with, it all felt like a huge pain in the butt. But those weren't my only complaints. The entrance ceremonies for elementary school, junior high, and high school all mean the same thing: the start of another major trial for children. In order for students to enjoy their time at school, they must make friends, and there are only a few key days after the entrance ceremony to properly do that. Failure to do so signals the beginning of a rather tragic three years.

As my thoughts were showed throughout the gym, I discovered that there were some students who resonated with my sentiments.
While others who casually hangs out with their friends from time to time found my concerns about not making friends leading to a tragic life funny and casually dismissing it by saying, "It's not that bad, you're just overthinking it"

As someone who dislikes trouble, I decided I'd like to establish proper relationships. Unfamiliar with the notion, I'd spent the day before in preparation, running through different scenarios.

For instance, should I burst into the classroom and actively start talking to people? Should I secretly pass around a slip of paper with my email address, so as to better befriend someone? Someone like me needed to practice, because this environment was so different from what I'd experienced thus far. I was completely isolated. I had ventured alone into a battlefield, and it was do or die.

"Wow, he's acting as if his life depended on making friends," Shibata commented, disbelief can be heard in his tone.

"Seriously?" A class A student said, like what I am saying is obvious. "Just approach someone you find interesting and talk to them. It'll naturally develop friendship over time."

As their eyes turned towards me, I could sense their confusion. They couldn't grasp why I was overthinking the simple act of making friends. Perhaps my constant isolation in the classroom had left a lasting impression to them, leading them to believe that I struggled with social disorder. In their minds, they began to assume that I was alone because I had failed at making friends in the past. They all looked at me in pity.

"Just so you guys know," I interjected, hoping to dispel any misconceptions. "I'm not alone because I don't have any friends. I'm alone because I chose to be alone"
As my words hung in the air, they all nodded in understanding, redirecting their attention back to the video we were watching

Ike however find this all funny "Dude, your thinking is quite funny, you should open up more"

Looking around the classroom, I walked toward the seat that bore my nameplate. It was at the back of the room, near the window. A good place to sit, generally.